Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Donnie Baseball Changes Jobs for Dodgers

From the AP:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Don Mattingly won't be alongside Joe Torre in the Los Angeles Dodgers' dugout every game this year.

Mattingly will be moved from hitting coach for the Los Angeles Dodgers to major league special assignment coach for the 2008 season due to family reasons, the team said Tuesday. Mike Easler will replace Mattingly as hitting coach.

"Donnie is prioritizing his family first," said the former MVP's agent, Ray Schulte. "The Dodgers have been very supportive, creating a position so Don can still make a contribution to the team throughout the year!"

Mattingly will now assist with Dodgers' major league coaching staff during spring training and throughout the season.

"I'm very grateful that the Dodgers have allowed me to take care of these family matters and I hope that everyone can respect our privacy during this time," Mattingly said in a statement issued by the team. "I truly appreciate the support of all Dodger fans since joining the organization and I look forward to helping the team win in 2008 and beyond."

If Donnie was still a Yankee I bet these "family matters" would disappear very quickly. If there is really something serious going on with his family I wish him the best, and hope everything gets worked out quickly so he can return to the dugout.

0 Comments: