Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Why do we need both of them? (Bullpen Edition)

Yesterday I asked the same question about Morgan Ensberg and Shelley Duncan, today I ask it about Latroy Hawkins and Ross Ohlendorf.

Why do we need both Hawkins and Ohlendorf on the roster?

First, their horrible numbers:

Hawkins - 1-1, 6.75 ERA, 24 IP, 25 H, 11 BB, 15 K

Ohlendorf - 0-1, 6.37 ERA, 29.2 IP, 36 H, 12 BB, 27 K

Ohlendorf also doesn't do well in clutch situations, here's what opponents are hitting against him in clutch situations:

2 out w/RISP: .412
Late & Close: .545
Tie Game: .444
Within 1 R: .429
Within 2 R: .410
Within 3 R: .317
Within 4 R: .292
Within > 4 R: .296

So if the game isn't close Ohlendorf does okay. Otherwise he's a disaster waiting to happen.

Hawkins like Ohlendorf, can't handle the pressure. Take a look at his batting average against in clutch situations:

2 out w/RISP: .462
Late & Close: .313
Tie Game: .400
Within 1 R: .333
Within 2 R: .333
Within 3 R: .308
Within 4 R: .313
Within > 4 R: .192

He also is horrible in the 8th inning where opponents are hitting .450 against him. He holds hitters to an avg. under .200 in the 5th and 7th, and to just .217 in the 6th, so I guess the best way to use Hawkins is in the 6th or 7th innings of games where one team is up by four or more runs.

Great
, two guys who can't handle any kind of pressure on the mound.

I do think Ohlendorf could be the more successful of the two, especially if the Yankees had a real long man and used Ohlendorf for one inning at a time like he should be. I was one of the people that felt this team might not need a true long man, but I was wrong, and they do.

With Ian Kennedy headed to the DL and Joba headed to the rotation a spot opens up in the bullpen. Hopefully they can get rid of at least one of these two guys to open another spot. A guy like J. B. Cox, David Robertson, Scott Patterson, or even Chris Britton should get a shot to fill one of those spots, and if another one opens up it should go to someone who can be a long man.

Of these four I think J. B. Cox would be the best pick, he hasn't allowed a run yet at Scranton and seems to be the best candidate to replace Joba. Mark Melancon will eventually fill that spot, but for now he's still with AA Trenton.

So like I asked yesterday, what would you do?

8 Comments:

Unknown said...

Robertson = Lights out.

Id give J.B. a litttttttle bit more time, but there are other short leashes around where he can sneak up here anyway

Jeff said...

Hawkins is a known quantity and should be canned. Ohlendorf still has potential to improve and should stay. Neither should ever pitch more than one inning. We've needed a long reliever since day 1 and Girardi just doesn't seem to get that concept.

Harry Steers said...

I agreed with your analysis yesterday (I would drop Ensberg and keep Duncan because I think he is better than he has been playing this year) and I agree with your analysis today too. As far as pitching... I would get rid of Hawkins sooner than later. Here is a thought... how about bringing in a good lefty reliever?

Anonymous said...

I like Ohlendorf as a 7th inning or 8th inning reliever but Girardi does not see that. Ohlendorf is a one inning guy. I would like to see Edwar and Ross as the setup crew to Mariano, and I would also like them to bring up Cox/Melancon to join that crew as well. Farnsy needs to go as well because he is so inconsistent. I believe this group would do well if we used them correctly. We then need to acquire a good lefty and a long reliever. I hope by the start of the second half, the bullpen will look a little different then it does now.

James Miller said...

What I would do, is pray that Joba is a legit starter. Cuz now the bullpen really sucks.

M-Rod said...

I would size each of them up for a fresh pair of cement loafers. Edwar is the way to salvation if this Joba thing is gonna work.

Greg Cohen said...

Derek,

The only problem with Robertson this year is he's walking far too many batters. He's still striking out a ton of batters.

Jeff,

Yes I agree Hawkins should go. And that they're both 1 inning pitchers.

Harry,

The only lefties in AAA are Traber, Health Phillips, and Kei Igawa. None of which have done anything that makes me think they can get anyone out at the MLB level. They can't really get people out at the Minor League level.

Anonymous,

Cox and Melancon can fix this bullpen, but they will still be short a long-man, unless they continue to throw Ohlendorf out there as one, which I feel will be a mistake.

JMiller11,

I think Joba will eventually be a very good starter, but he will go through the typical bumps in the road that most young pitchers face.

Godriguez,

Edwar has been great, I think Girardi finally is starting to trust him too.

I think that's everybody.

BigGuy said...

Ohlendorf needs more work on his splitter and he shouldn't pitch more than 1-2 innings. When they converted him his velocity was much better the less innings he pitched. Ohlendorf was bad in the SWB playoffs costing them the final game, and bad against the Indians in his only ML playoff game. He's got velocity and some good stuff but needs more work. I didn't like the Hawkins signing to begin with so that's my opinon on him.
Cox looks great so far, I've seen all his games and I'm impressed with him. He should help. He certainly can't hurt.