Friday, July 18, 2008

Sign Bonds

I've been against this idea for a while, but over the past few days I've been thinking about it and made a complete 180 on the idea. The Yankees should definitely sign Barry Bonds.

Before responding, ask yourself this question; Do you want the Yankees to make the postseason or not?

Then remind yourself that Andy Pettitte (a cheater) and Jason Giambi (a cheater) are on the roster, and two fan favorites I might add. Then remember what's hurt this team, it hasn't been the pitching, it's been the lack of offense. And also remember that Matsui is likely done for the year.

Then look at these lineups:

vs. righties
Damon LF
Jeter SS
Bonds DH
A-Rod 3B
Giambi 1B
Posada C
Abreu RF
Melky CF
Cano 2B

vs. lefties
Damon LF
Jeter SS
Giambi or Bonds DH
A-Rod 3B
Posada C
Abreu RF
Sexson 1B
Cano 2B
Melky CF

Here are Bonds' numbers in 126 games last season: .276, 28 HR, 66 RBI, .480 OBP, .565 SLG

So do you want to win, or do you want to miss the playoffs for the first time in 14 years?

I know he's 44, but really what do we have to lose? Give him three weeks, if he isn't hitting, release him. Again, there's really nothing to lose here. Everyone around the country already hates the Yankees and their fans with a passion, this won't change much.

I'm well aware that most will disagree with me on this, and I'm also quite certain that this won't happen, but I think adding Bonds to this roster will help this team greatly.

Please feel free to flame me, and/or share your thoughts.

12 Comments:

Anonymous said...

If he turned out to be as good as ever then A-Rod would probably get better pitches to hit though who knows if he would capitalize.

Greg Cohen said...

Yep, the whole lineup would improve. Even if he was just as good as he was last year, the lineup would be helped greatly.

I really think this is a no lose situation. If he can't cut it anymore, just release him.

Anonymous said...

Even though I hate the guy, I have to agree with you. Adding Bonds would definitely help this team a lot, even if he is 44.

Anonymous said...

finally some one agrees with me. I have said it 2 or 3 times on this website, and no one responded. I dont know if it was being ignored or if no one read it. Bonds would be an absolute monster in this lineup. He would make it go. He would never get intentianally walked and would hit around 10 homers a month, maybe more. If they signed him, they'd make the playoffs no doubt. Him and Arod would be better than Manny and Ortiz. Do it! Any problems cut him, that simple.

Greg Cohen said...

I didn't ignore you, I just had been against it at the time. But like I said, I've been thinking about it, and changed my mind. You could say I flip-flopped.

I agree with everything you said. When you ignore the steroid stuff it's really a no-brainer. And with guys like Pettitte and Giambi on the team it's pretty easy to ignore the steroid stuff.

Anonymous said...

.. and I think more people are for signing him now. I've been dreaming about it since April, but we had too many people. Now we need him.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if anyone in the front office is in favor of signing him. If we continue to struggle to score runs, I think there will be a greater possibility of signing him. It doesnt take long to sway someone, especially in panic mode. Cash should be thinking if I sign him, we'll make the playoffs and we wont lose any prospects, and my job will be safe. It would be like acquiring an allstar DH ( David Ortiz) for nothing, and cheap.So I dont know why there not taking this into more consideration.

Greg Cohen said...

They probably are. Cashman has not ruled anything out, he's just acting like they don't need him. He always does this.

You have to believe there are conversations going on about Bonds as we speak. Even if right now most are against it.

(And to all, this doesn't mean I believe he's the HR King, or the legitimate record holder, because he's not. Hank Aaron is the all-time HR king and Roger Maris still holds the single season mark. But that's not what matters right now.)

Anonymous said...

My head says that it's a no brainer to spark a disappointing offense. My heart says hasn't this club house lost enough of its focus by bringing in hired guns who really don't take pride in showing up to work everyday to win. I think an entire losing culture has developed because of bringing in players like Giambi who will never have the workman blue collar attitude of an O'Neal, Mattingly, or Martinez. A Rod has become enough of spectacle and cancer, who never produces when it matters. Bond's post season numbers are just as bad.

Anonymous said...

The Yankees can get one of the greatest hitters the game has ever seen for basically the minimum salary. The only reason Boston hasn't beat the Yankees to the punch is because they already have Manny and Ortiz. The Yankees offense has been very inconsistent this year, numerous times they have been dominated by average pitchers from both the NL and AL.
The bottom line is that the Yankees will be a much better team with him in the lineup and he won't hurt you defensively beacuse he'll DH! Cashman, Hank pull the trigger already what the hell are you waitng for, Tampa Bay to sign him?

Anonymous said...

Who would have thought that the Yankees inconsistent offense would be the reason for a mediocre season? How many significant (down by 3 or more runs) comebacks this team has had? Close to none! Bonds just wants to play for a contender, his belly still itches for a ring and if he helps this team win the fans will except him. Some will even embrace him. Worse case scenario if it doesn't work out just show him the door.

Greg Cohen said...

I'm very surprised that I haven't gotten more of the "Are you freaking stupid? How could you want such a person on the Yankees?" responses. Glad I'm not the only one who feels Bonds could really help this team.