Friday, April 24, 2009

Newcomers Talk About Their First Trip to Fenway as Yankees

M.A. Mehta of The Star-Ledger had these quotes from two of the newest Yankees:

Nick Swisher:

"As much as you want to think to yourself that it's just another game, it's not just another game," Swisher said. "It's completely different. There's an electricity in the ballpark that you don't get very often -- like the postseason is what I'm thinking. ... I think the biggest thing is trying to keep your emotions low. Being pretty rambunctious and hyper, that's going to be a key for me."

Swisher admitted that he's "working my way up the ladder," having been a part of the Ohio State-Michigan, A's-Giants and Cubs-White Sox rivalries in the past.

"Now I just don't think I can get any higher with the Red Sox and Yankees," Swisher said. "That's the premier. That's the top."

Mark Teixeira:
"This is one of the greatest rivalries in sports," the Yankees first baseman said. "It's great for baseball. It'll always be great for baseball."
Teixeira also told Bryan Hoch that he is expecting similar boos to the ones he heard in Baltimore from the Fenway faithful:

"I'm not sure if it's going to be louder, because it's April still," Teixeira said. "But it's going to be fun, because Red Sox - Yankees is always fun. It's what I'm used to on the road.

"I never hear anything, there's so much noise, you never really hear any words. I'm sure it will be the same. I expect heavy boos. I expect nothing less from those fans."

And Pete Caldera had this from A.J. Burnett:

"I can’t wait," said Burnett, the Yankees’ Saturday starter for this weekend’s renewal of The Rivalry – a storied conflict that the right-hander has ached to join.

"It’s two teams that respect each other, and two fan bases that hate each other," Burnett said. "That type of environment really brings out your best. You’ve got the fans hanging on every pitch. There’s a lot of extra emotion involved.

"That’s when I want the ball."

Apparently CC Sabathia has no opinion - or the writers don't care - because he's not scheduled to pitch.

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Sabathia's too busy thinking about why he is so bad in April. That, or he was at a buffet somewhere.

dan said...

were gonna see how well these can handle the pressure.. Tex is gonna get booed unmercifully, probably more than he did in Baltimore. We're also gonna see how Swish and AJ are gonna fair when the spotlight is on. Too bad CC isnt pitching, I really wanted all of these guys to get used to the rivalry and too get used to the pressure.

JC said...

Burnett: "That's when I want the ball."

Man, that guy just oozes badass. lol

Anonymous said...

yup, AJ gots some serious balls

Anonymous said...

Teixeira will not be booed like he was in Baltimore.

1. It was insane in Baltimore. How much worse is that. He got booed when he made an out on his way to the dugout.
Got booed when his name was announced.
Got booed during the at bat.
Got booed when he made a play in the field.

Here's my prediction: Teixiera is just going to get booed when his name is announced.

dan said...

well I think he'll get booed alot.. with alot of anger from the fans. He picked the Yankees over the Sox, and this is the 2nd time he walked away from the Sox.. the difference here than in Baltimore is that the Sox we're actually in the running, and also most Sox fans are psychotic