Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hal's More Like His Father Than We Thought

Hal Steinbrenner was at yesterday's "Yankee Bowl" press conference and was asked about Joe Girardi's future. And while he had nothing but praise for the Yanks skipper, and said he'd thinks he's the man for the job next year, he wouldn't commit to anything. Oh that apple sure doesn't fall far, huh?
"Joe has had a tremendous year this year," said Steinbrenner, the team's managing general partner. "We all know that. He's got the best record in baseball. As far as I'm concerned, and the family is concerned, and the organization is concerned, he's the man for the job."

When pressed if that meant Girardi will be back next season, Steinbrenner was not definitive but gave no reason to believe Girardi is in any danger.

"I'm saying he's the man for the job," Steinbrenner said. "Let's focus, keep our eye on the ball so to speak, focus on the playoffs. There will be plenty of drama for you to write about, I assure you."
"I have the genetics that certainly lead me to believe that if you don't win the championship, you're not doing your job for the city of New York and for your fans," Steinbrenner said.
Jon Heyman also reported that "Regardless of what happens in October, the Yankees don't plan to extend Joe Girardi this winter. Team policy is to let every contract run to the end. And that includes Girardi, and even Derek Jeter, whose contract also expires after 2010."

Interesting, but I still think a world series win changes that. I also can't imagine the Yanks firing Girardi after the season he's had. Not that anything the Steinbrenner's do would surprise me, I just think it would be the wrong move. The last thing the Yankees want is a revolving door in the managers office.

I've also always believed, for the most part, that managers get teams to the playoffs and then it's pretty much up to the players. Like I said the other day, if a team gets good starting pitching they usually win in October.

Regarding those playoffs here's what Hal had to say:
"It's my job to be concerned," Steinbrenner said. "That's my job. I think this [ALDS] five-game series concerns any team, any owner, any manager and any player. It's a short series. And it could be a dangerous one. We've got a team that is as good or better than any out there. And I'm confident. And excited. Absolutely excited."
I truly hate five-game series, maybe 2005, '06, and '07 have something to do with that, but their too much of a crap shoot. If there's one thing I'd change about the MLB playoff system I'd extend the opening series to seven games.

Hal also said that his father plans to attend the world series "if and when" the Yankees make it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

How was the crappy concert Greg Fohen? Waste of money mostly.

matt said...

total non-issue for me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cohen, your grammar is atrocious. Can you please start proofreading your nonsense? Thanks

Anonymous said...

About time someone agrees with me.

ColinM said...

^^The inherent flaw of anonymity, witless idiots with digital body armor.

Anyways, I couldn't agree more with Greg. October is the time for the manager to take a back seat and let the boys earn their money.

Barring a completely embarrassing ALDS appearance/elimination, Joe should be given at least a 1 year extension. That way he can manage 2010 in relative comfort; we know what the pressure of being a lame duck manager can do a team's season.

Greg Cohen said...

Anon, seriously, get a freaking life.

MaddMatt said...

The Yanks never extend guys...or rarely do...so Girardi, like Jeter, will talk about an extension November 5th, 2010.