Monday, November 5, 2012

Post Sandy Post: Mo & Soriano

Like almost everyone else in the region, I had been without power for five days, and just finally got my internet back today. Hope you're all doing well out there..... Anyway, here's the two most important stories I missed.

First, here's the good news via ESPN New York:
New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera has informed the team he intends to pitch next season, general manager Brian Cashman told's Andrew Marchand on Saturday.

"He wants to play again," said Cashman, who was informed by the reliever of his decision Friday. "I'll work with his agent, Fernando Cuza, on the details of a contract."
And now the bad, or at least what I would consider bad news. Rafael Soriano has opted out of his contract and is looking for a four-year deal, and wants to close.
"I don't think Soriano would sign here if he's not going to be the closer," Cashman said. "And I don't think we would do again what we did before. He's going to want closer money and I doubt he would want to come back here as a set-up man."


According to Yankees president Randy Levine, who negotiated the Soriano deal, Boras believes Soriano can command a contract in the neighborhood of four years and $60 million based on his 2012 season, in which he converted 42 of 46 save opportunities after assuming the closing duties from Rivera, who suffered a season-ending knee injury May 3.

"Based on that, I understand why he would opt out," Levine said. "I hope he's right. We love him here at the Yankees but we wouldn't pay him $60 million for four years."
With Mo coming back for one final year, the Yankees are still going to need to find a replacement and Soriano proved this year that he could be that guy. In my opinion they should do what they have to do to resign him and promise him the closers role once Mo retires. That said, it doesn't seem like that will be the case.

blog comments powered by Disqus