Friday, November 30, 2012

Derek Jeter Needs To Get In The Gym

Yikes, Jeter.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Heyman: Yankees & Rivera Agree on One-Year Deal
Not a surprise here as recent reports indicated this was close, but glad it's sorted out. Also, $10 million for Mo is pretty much a steal, even coming off of an injury.

Russell Martin Heading To The Pirates

From Erik Boland:
Add catcher to the list of offseason needs for the Yankees.

In a move that came as a surprise to many, a club source said Russell Martin agreed to a two-year deal with the Pirates early Thursday night. The deal is reportedly worth $17 million.

While there were reports the Yankees had made their own two-year offer, the source said the club never made an offer of any kind.


Currently, the Yankees have Francisco Cervelli, who spent the majority of last season at Triple-A, light-hitting Chris Stewart and Austin Romine as their options. Romine, once one of the organization's blue-ribbon prospects, missed most of 2012 with a back injury. His defense is considered major league-caliber, but his bat is suspect

The free-agent market is thin, led by Mike Napoli and A.J. Pierzynski. But both are likely to command dollars similar to what Martin did, dollars the Yankees have made clear to this point -- at least at catcher -- they're not willing to commit.
I can't say I'm surprised the Yankees let him walk with that kind of money being offered. Honestly, he's just not worth it. That being said, the catching market is pretty non-existent so it's going to be interesting to see who they can replace him with.

However, Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees did offer Martin 2 years for somewhere around $12 to $14 million. Also, the Dodgers have emerged as a potential suitor for A.J. Pierzynski so his name may come off the board pretty soon as well.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Pettitte Coming Back For One More

From Bryan Hoch:
Andy Pettitte has said that he feels like his left arm still has plenty of important innings to offer. The Yankees are counting on it.

Pettitte and the Yankees officially agreed to a one-year contract on Wednesday, representing the second major move of New York's offseason following last week's re-signing of right-handed starter Hiroki Kuroda.

The 40-year-old Pettitte will earn a base salary of $12 million for his services, plus potential awards bonuses. In order to make room on the 40-man roster, the Yankees designated catcher Eli Whiteside for assignment.
It's also being reported that the Yankees are close to agreeing on a one-year deal with Mariano Rivera. With the signings of Kuroda, Pettitte and hopefully Rivera, the Yankees pitching staff is looking pretty strong.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Yankees Resign Kuroda

From Anthony DiComo:
Hiroki Kuroda will be back with the Yankees next season on a one-year contract. The Yankees did not release details, but ESPN's Buster Olney reported the deal to be worth $15 million, plus incentives of less than $1 million.


Though Kuroda recently rejected the Yankees' one-year, $13 million qualifying offer, it was widely assumed that he was still interested in a one-year deal. He was also reportedly considering a return to Los Angeles, where he played from 2008 to 2011 with the Dodgers, or Japan, where he broke into professional baseball with the Hiroshima Carp in 1997.

"I am very happy and excited to re-sign with the Yankees," said Kuroda. "I am very grateful for all of the interest and all of the offers that I received from the various teams that courted me. It was a tough decision for me to make, but at the end of the day, I wanted to try to win a championship with the teammates that I went to battle with last season."

Stark: It's Yankees or Japan For Kuroda

From Jayson Stark:
If free-agent right-hander Hiroki Kuroda pitches in the United States next season, it apparently will be for the New York Yankees.

The Yankees are now "very confident" they're going to sign the 37-year-old Kuroda, and believe he will either pitch for them or return to Japan, say agents and clubs that have spoken with them. Meanwhile, other teams that have been reported as having interest in Kuroda -- particularly the Los Angeles Dodgers and Los Angeles Angels -- appear to have shifted their focus elsewhere.


It's still possible, however, that Kuroda could return to Japan. He has said several times he wants to finish his career there, but hasn't said when.
Hopefully this is not just an empty rumor because it's is great news. They need Kuroda if they're going to compete with the rapidly improving AL East.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Nolasco Drawing Interest From Yankees
Back in July of 2011 the Yankees tried to trade for him so this isn't the first time the Yankees have shown interest in Nolasco.

If this is their plan to replace Kuroda than I really can't figure out what the hell they're thinking. Last season, the right-hander went 12-13 with a 4.48 ERA in 31 starts for the Marlins. In 191 innings he allowed 95 earned runs on 214 hits, walked 47 and struck out 125. I would have to expect those numbers to get even worse with a move to the AL East.

Yankees Have Talked To Ibanez About Returning For 2013

From Dan Martin:
The Yankees have had preliminary discussions with Raul Ibanez about coming back next season in a platoon role. Ibanez was used more than the Yankees would have liked because of injuries last year, but he showed he was still a dangerous hitter. The lefty-swinging Ibanez was brought in to be a DH against right-handed pitching, but he was forced into the outfield when Brett Gardner was lost for most of the year and Mark Teixeira battled a strained calf.

Ibanez, 40, provided some of the only offensive highlights in the postseason for his new team and often delivered in big spots.
There aren't many affordable (Remember, the Yankees are cheap now) options out there so bringing back Raul may be the Yankees best option.

Torii Hunter, who the Yankees had interest in, is now with the Tigers after signing pretty ridiculous two-year, $26-million contract earlier today.

Yankees Interested in Mike Napoli
If they do lose Martin, Napoli would be a pretty good replacement. After a great 2011 campaign, Napoli fell off a bit last season hitting .227/.343/.469 with 24 HR and 56 RBI in 108 games for the Rangers. Not great, but better than the numbers Martin put up the last two years.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Kuroda On Red Sox Radar
Regardless of this rumor, I think the Yankees should do everything they can to make sure Kuroda is back next year.

Sherman: Yanks not in on Justin Upton

From Joel Sherman:
The Yankees are so serious about dropping under that $189 million luxury tax threshold for 2014 that, according to a source briefed on their plans, they would not even do a two-year contract in the $20 million range with Torii Hunter, The Post has learned.

Though Arizona’s Justin Upton has become available at the GM Meetings, a person involved in discussions said, “The Yankees are not on him.”


Upton, a talented, but enigmatic player, has three years at $38.5 million left on his contract and would count as just $8.54 million (the average annual value of his deal) toward the luxury tax payroll. Nevertheless, even committing those kind of dollars plus the cost-effective prospects necessary to land a player of Upton’s ilk currently is against the Yankees strategy. The Rangers and Rays (who are losing Upton’s brother, B.J., to free agency) were considered the early favorites to get Justin Upton, according to a person involved in talks.

The Yankees want to solve right field by committing as few (maybe zero) dollars to 2014 as possible. In fact, if they need to go to two years to keep Kuroda (which they might not agree to do either), it would all but assure not one cent of 2014 money is put toward right field.

Because the Yankees have become a place veterans like to play because of the promise of championship contention and a large bloc of like-minded, similar-aged players, Hunter could follow the lead of vets such as Eric Chavez and Raul Ibanez and spurn better offers to play in The Bronx on a one-year deal.
I still can't figure out how the Yankees expect to compete and get the salary under that $189M mark. Either way, I don't mind the Yanks passing on Upton or Hunter if he actually demands two years. I still think the best move would be to bring back Ichiro on a one-year deal if that's possible.

Red Sox Looking At Tino For Hitting Coach Job
I think I speak for every Yankee fan out there when I say don't do it, Tino.

Cashman Believes Pettitte Wants to Play

From Jon Lane:
Pettitte, who ended his one-year retirement during Spring Training, continues to mull his immediate future and stated he’ll make a decision sooner rather than later. Speaking with reporters at this week’s general manager meetings, Yankees GM Brian Cashman shared details of a conversation that didn’t reveal answers, but he’s holding on to hope that the veteran left-hander will help anchor the rotation for at least one more season.

“I talked to Andy a few days after we got eliminated,” Cashman said. “In that conversation, he was going to take his family away, his son was playing in a tournament. He just said he’s going to take some time, talk to his family.

“It wasn’t going to take long. I didn’t ask how long ‘long’ was, but he’ll call me. I’m not going to push him. He’ll let me know when he’s made a final decision about whatever he’s choosing to do. I hope he plays. I believe that it’s in his blood that he wants to play. I believe that, but it doesn’t guarantee anything. But I think he wants to play, and I’m hoping he’ll call and tell me that.”
I'm not really sure why Cashman feels this way, but I'm sure he knows how Andy's thinks. Let's hope he's right.

Monday, November 5, 2012

Post Sandy Post: Mo & Soriano

Like almost everyone else in the region, I had been without power for five days, and just finally got my internet back today. Hope you're all doing well out there..... Anyway, here's the two most important stories I missed.

First, here's the good news via ESPN New York:
New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera has informed the team he intends to pitch next season, general manager Brian Cashman told's Andrew Marchand on Saturday.

"He wants to play again," said Cashman, who was informed by the reliever of his decision Friday. "I'll work with his agent, Fernando Cuza, on the details of a contract."
And now the bad, or at least what I would consider bad news. Rafael Soriano has opted out of his contract and is looking for a four-year deal, and wants to close.
"I don't think Soriano would sign here if he's not going to be the closer," Cashman said. "And I don't think we would do again what we did before. He's going to want closer money and I doubt he would want to come back here as a set-up man."


According to Yankees president Randy Levine, who negotiated the Soriano deal, Boras believes Soriano can command a contract in the neighborhood of four years and $60 million based on his 2012 season, in which he converted 42 of 46 save opportunities after assuming the closing duties from Rivera, who suffered a season-ending knee injury May 3.

"Based on that, I understand why he would opt out," Levine said. "I hope he's right. We love him here at the Yankees but we wouldn't pay him $60 million for four years."
With Mo coming back for one final year, the Yankees are still going to need to find a replacement and Soriano proved this year that he could be that guy. In my opinion they should do what they have to do to resign him and promise him the closers role once Mo retires. That said, it doesn't seem like that will be the case.