Monday, December 31, 2007

My (sports related) Hopes for the New Year

Recently, as I’m sure most of you have noticed, there have been many articles floating around about how bad 2007 was for New York and the Yankees, and how Boston has risen over New York and the Mecca of sports. As I sit here, feeling queasy at the thought of it, I’m hoping that 2008 will make all this nonsense disappear.

I hope the damn "perfect" Patriots lose in the AFC Championship game to the Colts again; that would be the most maddening way to go down for Patriots fans. Don’t you think? I hope the Giants can surprise everybody and make a run at the Super Bowl, setting up Manning Bowl 1. With the Giants winning of course.

I hope Knicks, despite Isiah Thomas and Charles Dolan’s futility, can somehow find their way back to respectability.

I'd also love to see the Celtics get knocked out of the NBA Playoffs in the first round, losing to the 8th seed, maybe the Knicks… yeah right.

Most important of all, I hope the New York Yankees regain their rightful spot on top of the Baseball World, and win #27. That they can send the old Stadium to its (unnecessary) grave with a champagne bath, and a celebration that lasts deep into the wee-hours of a cool October night. Capping it all off a few weeks later with a victory parade down the Canyon of Heroes.

Yea I know, I’m dreaming, but that’s what the New Year is all about; new hopes, new dreams, and new opportunities. And, in this case new hopes for New York, and its sports teams (besides the Mets, they suck).

Happy New Year everybody!

0 Comments: