Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Sheppard to Introduce Jeter, Sort of

From Bryan Hoch:
NEW YORK -- Bob Sheppard's voice will be at Yankee Stadium after all for Monday's season opener, the final Opening Day in the ballpark's history -- although he will be heard for just one batter.

Sheppard, the Yankees' public address announcer since 1951, will not be able to attend the game as he recovers from health issues that have limited his workload. But shortstop Derek Jeter plans to have Sheppard introduce him for his at-bats, the first of which will come in the bottom of the first inning against the Blue Jays' Roy Halladay. Jeter has had Sheppard's introduction recorded on tape.

"It's unfortunate, because one of the first things I looked forward to when I was called up was coming to Yankee Stadium and hearing him say my name," Jeter said on Monday. "I had Bob Sheppard record introducing me. I'll always come to the plate with Bob Sheppard."

Good idea, it just isn't the same going to Yankee Stadium without hearing Sheppard's voice.

0 Comments: