Monday, June 30, 2008

Brett Gardner Headed to the Bronx

This seem legit, it's from The Times and Democrat, in Orangeburg, SC, Gardner's hometown newspaper:
Don’t believe dreams can come true?

Just talk to Brett Gardner. Because, Sunday afternoon, Gardner’s big-league dream came true when Scranton/Wilkes-Barre manager Dave Miley called him into his office and informed him that he had been called up to the team’s parent club, the New York Yankees.

“It really hasn’t set in yet,” Gardner said as his team traveled back from it’s game against Buffalo. “Absolutely, it’s a dream come true. Growing up as a little kid, you get older, and you realize how far away it is. It really hasn’t set in yet, but I think (Monday) when I get there it will definitely happen.”

Gardner is scheduled to drive from Scranton to New York Monday and be in uniform for the Yankees 7:05 p.m. series opener against the Texas Rangers. ...

... "Before the season started I told myself, ‘If it happens it happens,’” Gardner said. “I just worry about what I can control and try to prove to them that I am ready. And, with this happening in the last year of Yankee Stadium…it’s very special to get to play there.”

... “I’ve always been told, ‘The hard part is not to get to the big leagues, it’s to stay in the big leagues,’” he said. “I don’t know what my role will be. It could be to come in as a defensive replacement once a week or come in and run bases. I have no idea what to expect, but I am sure I will find out in the next few days.

“I will be working hard,” he added. “And, I am going to try my best to help the team win some ball games.”
Very interesting news, and good news. I thought he should have been called up long ago. No word on who will be sent down.

In 80 games for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Gardner was hitting .287 with 3 HR, 29 RBI, 34 SB, and an OBP of .412.

The reason he hadn't been called up until now was because the Yankees didn't want him to waste away on the bench, so you have to believe he will get a lot of playing time.

I wonder if Melky Cabrera just got a little nervous.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear, he'll probably be playing LF tomorrow. As for who will be sent down I think it will either be Gonzales or Christian.

Greg Cohen said...

That's what I suspect as well.