Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A-Rod To Skip Derby

From Mark Feinsand:

Alex Rodriguez may be the American League's leading vote-getter for this year's All-Star Game, but the reigning MVP has no plans on making it a two-day event.

Even with the All-Star festivities taking place in his home ballpark, A-Rod said he would not participate in the Home Run Derby, which takes place the night before the All-Star Game.

"I try to stay away from that," Rodriguez said. "My responsibility is to the New York Yankees. I need my swing to be at its best."

Like many players, Rodriguez insists that taking part in the Home Run Derby can have a damaging effect on his swing.

Good there's no reason why he should participate in this event. Do the Yankees really need to have him mess up his swing for a couple months for this? No, they don't.

Some players don't like the event, and as we've seen with people like Bobby Abreu, sometimes the effects never wear off. Since winning the derby in 2005, Abreu has not hit more than 16 HR in a season. The three years prior to 2005 he hit 20, 20, and 30.

But others don't seem to have a problem with it, players like Jason Giambi love the event. Which is why he will probably take part in the festivities.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you hear? Now he's cheating on his wife with Madonna.

What's with A-Rod a masculine blond women? And isn't Madonna 60?

M-Rod said...

LEFTYS LEFTYS GIVE ME ALL LEFTYS IN THE DERBY!!!!!!!! SECTION 41 BABY WOOOOHOOO!!!!!!!! I hope i don't catch too much flak (from the few bleacher turdburgers that didn't sell their tickets)for bringing a glove.

P.S.
No offense to the bleacher creatures there, i was one for about 10 years but my love for beer is way more important that my desire to be called a "true" yankee fan so after they enforced the alcohol free law i migrated to the upper deck where the beautiful beer flows freely.

Greg Cohen said...

Anon,

I did read about it, but I don't think it's true, or at least I don't think they're having an affair. And if they are, big deal. I really don't care what these guys do when they're not at the ballpark. Player's personal lives are none of our business.

Godriguez,

Yea I still sit in the bleachers most of the time, I like the atmosphere out there, and the cheap tickets as well. But getting drunk at the game is always great.

I'm gonna try to pick up some derby tickets off stub hub in the next few days.

Greg Cohen said...

Oh, and you're definitly going to get flak from the creatures for the glove.

M-Rod said...

nice! i keep telling the people i work with that i plan to come in the next day with a black eye, perhaps two, and a dislocated jaw. for some reason they just don't get it. i guess corporate whores like me aren't supposed to act that way. as long as i leave with more than 2 balls i'm happy. anything less and that will definitely effect my plans to have a little m-rod jr.