Monday, September 15, 2008

It's About Freakin' Time

Finally, after 149 games, Joe Girardi disciplines Robinson Cano.

As you saw today, Cano was removed from today's game in the 5th inning for not hustling on Cliff Floyd's grounder that ricocheted off Giambi's glove and bounced into right field, instead of going after the ball Cano just stood there and allowed the hustling Floyd to get to second. "I wasn't happy with the effort on that ground ball, so I took him out," Girardi said. And according to Peter Abraham, Girardi indicated that he may bench Cano tomorrow.

I'm glad Girardi did this, but as Mr. Abraham also mentioned in his post, this message should have been made a long time ago. Cano has taken the entire season off, but now, when the season is all but over Girardi decides to do something. Something like this should have happened months ago.

I have to laugh when I think back to Hank Steinbrenner's comments prior to the season when he said that Girardi was a mix of Joe Torre and Billy Martin. Well, I know one thing; those two wouldn't have put up with the crap Cano has pulled this season for this long.

1 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, this should have been done months ago. I'm very surprised more people aren't talking about this too. This is kind of a big deal.