Thursday, October 2, 2008

Coaching Changes Coming?

From George A. King III:
Sunday in Boston manager Joe Girardi said there had been no discussions about changes in his coaching staff. Nevertheless, that was before general manager Brian Cashman officially returned. Now, every department in the organization is under review. That could result in a coaching change being made.

"Those things will be discussed," Cashman said. "Those things weren't on the table. Now that I am in place we will sit down and review every aspect of the organization."

Because the lineup underachieved in the clutch, hitting coach Kevin Long was mentioned to be in trouble. But Cashman likes Long, who is the only coach with a multi-year deal that has two seasons remaining.

If Cashman makes a change it could involve third base coach Bobby Meacham, who seems to have been unfairly criticized for Robinson Cano's supbar season.

Nevertheless, some players grumbled about Meacham's work at third. If Meacham, who was brought in by Girardi, isn't retained, Larry Bowa, the Yankees New York Yankees ' former third base coach, could return. Bowa, considered the best third base coach in baseball, signed a two-year deal with the Dodgers but has an out after this one.
I'd keep Eiland, Pena and Thompson. They all did a good job this year.

How can anyone blame Meacham for anything Cano did or didn't do? You want to blame Meacham for something, then blame him for being a bad third base coach. How about bringing Willie back? He did a great job while he was here, and the players and fans love him.

I doubt Bowa is going to leave L.A., he followed Torre out there, so there's no reason why he will leave him now to come back to the Yanks.

I also would like to see Kevin Long go. Offensively the Yankees were great last year, and I guess Long deserves credit. But remember, Don Mattingly was still with the team and may have helped the hitters last year. He was gone this year and we all saw how this team hit.

What about you, what coaches would you like to see stay or go?

11 Comments:

Greg Cohen said...

Nothing?

Anonymous said...

I'd fire Long, the offense stunk and he's the hitting coach, buh-bye.

Meacham made some mistakes early, but I'd let him slide. Plus I don't think Willie wants to be a 3rd base coach anymore. He probably wants to manage.

Anonymous said...

I'd ditch Kevin Long. I think he's probably a decent "mechanics" guy, but he's not at all helping these hitters get out of slumps, hit situationally, adjust to a picther who's getting hitters out with the same patterns all game long, etc. I just don't see him doing anything for the in-game adjustments, situation approach, and proper hitting mindset that a player needs. Maybe he's fixing the occasional hitch in a guy's swing, but that's not enough.

There have been times when I'll be sitting there watching the game, and I'll announce exactly what a pitcher is going to do, and the entire team will sit there and fall for the same "tricks" all game long. I think the entire team's approach to hitting a pitcher seems to be "swing as hard as you can." There's very little of a two strike approach, they don't put the ball in play to the opposite field or back through the box enough. You MUST practice that kind of thing in the batting cages, during BP, and during spring training.

I think a lot of that lies on the hitting coach. He just doesn't seem demonstrative enough. If a guy wants advice, they'll go to him, otherwise he just stands there quietly. You have to get on these guys and "force" the coaching on them. Part of that is Girardi's fault, for not trying to teach all the things I've mentioned previously in this post. But it falls on the hitting coach as well.

Other than that, I don't think Meacham has done anything positive for the team. I don't think he's a bad guy or anything, I just don't think he's the kind of personality that's helping anyone, and he has no idea when to send or hold runners.

I tell ya, if I was manager of this team, there would be times where I'd be going up and down that dugout preaching a situation approach, telling the hitters that they're all chasing the exact same pitch from a pitcher, etc. I don't see any of that happening, and I think it was part of the reason that the entire team could just get completely shut down by a guy who's not throwing anything special to the plate.

Greg Cohen said...

Well said Pinstripes, I agree completely.

Jeff said...

I think a good deal of the team's offensive struggles can be blamed on Long. There have been countless games when the announcers would break down a player's (frequently the slumping Robinson Cano's) sloppy swing and poor approach to the plate. It was often painful to watch. I have no idea what went on in practice, but these are exactly the kinds of things the hitting coach is supposed to work on with players.

Meachem has been a bust and cost the team a few runs this year. It shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement for him.

I think Girardi wants to remain loyal to his coaching staff, even if they're not performing up to snuff. Cashman, on the other hand, sounds like he's taking a more rational approach. I expect things to start heating up between manager and GM soon.

Mike said...

I think that Eiland is out based on comments by Cashman regarding Joba Chamberlain.

Self serving plug: Check my blog for what he said and how I read between the lines. http://nyyu.blogspot.com/

Also I'd like to see Meacham out, Pena move to 3rd and Tino Martinez as 1st base coach.

Greg Cohen said...

Jeff,

I know what you're saying about Girardi, he does seem like he always wants to be loyal to his coaches and players. That's probably why it took him so long to bench Cano this year. But what he has to stop this and start doing what's good for the Yankees. He's not a golden retriever, he's a manager.

Mike,

I see what you're saying, but I do think that the Yankees liked the job Eiland did so they will have to make sure he's on the same page with the Joba situation. If he's not, than you're right, he's probably gone.

Anonymous said...

Bring Willie Randolph Back to coach 3rd!

Anonymous said...

my vote-
Bowa to coach 3rd, Willie as bench coach

BB

Greg Cohen said...

BB,

I like the idea, but how are the Yanks going to get Bowa to leave Torre and the Dodgers.

Anonymous said...

they wont