Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Swisher Happy to be a Yankee and Wants CC to Join Him

From Pete Caldera:

At Nick Swisher’s personal Web site, there is a photo of the Yankees’ newest acquisition with a smiling CC Sabathia, taken at a charity event in December of 2006.

"I’ve known CC a couple of years now. He’s just a great guy," Swisher said during a conference call Tuesday. "If it all works out … everyone would be super excited if we could get him out of Milwaukee and bring him in."

Swisher wouldn’t say if he planned a recruiting call. "We’ll just have to see what happens," said Swisher, who seemed ecstatic about becoming a Yankee.

"What a great opportunity. I could not be more happy," said Swisher, who arrived from the White Sox last week in exchange for Wilson Betemit and two minor league pitchers. "It’s really a dream come true."

It would be an even happier holiday season if the Yanks brought in A.J. Burnett, too. "I can characterize his stuff as electric," Swisher said. "It would be a huge pickup if we could get him."

"I’m just trying to be a piece of the puzzle."

Swisher did not speak in depth about his problems in Chicago, but mentioned his difficult adjustment to batting leadoff, and called it a humbling year.

"I learned a lot from it. … I just know that all that stuff is behind me," Swisher said. "I’m up for any challenge, and I’m definitely ready for this one."

And here's a couple quotes from Mark Feinsand's article:

"Last year, statistically, I didn't have the year I wanted to," Swisher said.

"But this is '09, not '08, and those tough times that I went through not only helped me grow as a man, but as a player in general.

"Last year was a very humbling year for me and I learned a lot from it. All that stuff is behind me and I'm really looking forward to this year."

"Wherever they need me, I'll work my tail off this offseason and be ready to go next year."
"One of the best compliments you can have in this game is that you go out and play the game with passion, 150%," Swisher said. "That's the way I've gone about my career."
According to Feinsand, A-Rod and Kevin Long called Swisher to welcome him to the Bronx. Isn't the captain supposed to do things like that? Oh well, kudos to A-Rod and Long.

Swisher sounds like a guy who could really fit in here. He seems like a guy who cares about the mission much more than he cares about himself, and that's a very good thing. It may just be talk, and yes talk is cheap. But if he's being honest, and this is the real Nick Swisher, than I think the Yankees may have gotten the right kind of guy.

There's something to be said for a guy who wants to be here. We've heard some much this off-season about giving guys (CC, Burnett, etc.) contracts that they can't refuse even if they don't want to be here. To find a guy who actually wants to be here is quite refreshing.

2 Comments:

Rad said...

I actually like the Swisher pickup, it allows us to focus on pitching while other teams fight it out for Tex. He plays good defense, takes a lot of pitches,and gets on base.

Now if we don't get a pitcher, then we better chase Texiera hard.

Hopefully they don't blow the budget on Sabathia...as if the we actually had a budget lol

Mike B. said...

Well, talk is indeed cheap, and it's how you play on the field that counts. We'll see what happens provided the Yanks don't use him as trade bait.

Mike