Monday, November 17, 2008

Yanks Could Go After Varitek???

This rumor is likely B.S. but I figured I'd post it anyway.

From The Boston Herald (hat tip to Steve Lombardi):
It should require something closer to a two- to four-year deal worth $10-11 million a year to sign Varitek. He is coming off a four-year, $40 million deal.

Teams expected to be in on the bidding include the Tigers and Angels. Do not dismiss the chances of the Yankees going after Varitek as doubt remains about whether Posada’s shoulder, surgically repaired last season, will allow him to catch in 2009. . . .

This guy could barely stay above the Mendoza line last year. If Posada can't catch, use a minor leaguer, use Jose Molina, use anyone, just please stay away from this washed up Red Sox reject.

11 Comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahaha

No.

The Yankees would much sooner re-sign Pudge (who I suspect would be willing to come back) before signing Varitek. I doubt the Yankees have even the slightest interest.

This article cites no source whatsoever on that speculation, and is therefore nothing more tha baseless conjecture.

Greg Cohen said...

Believe me, I don't think this will happen, but I'd hate it if it did.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that would be bad news.

I'm just surprised that this writer would even suggest it when it's clearly one of the most unlikely scenarios. It sounds like something you'd hear on a sports talk call-in show.

In other news, the Red Sox could show interest in Randy Johnson if their confidence in Buccholz doesn't improve.

Making things up is fun.

Anonymous said...

I prefer to sign Bonds or even Canseco than signing this clown.

Anonymous said...

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! There should be no more crap coming to the yanks. And I hope this is a joke.

Anonymous said...

No more pudge.

Anonymous said...

this dude just wrote the yankees just so his article would get some hits.

Anonymous said...

It's from the Boston Herald which tells you it's BS. This just gives Schilling something to shoot his mouth off about.

I'm not a huge fan of Cashman but based on what I've seen the last few years I can't imagine that he would get within a mile of a deal like this. Not to mention the money. 10-11 million a year? Who would sign him for that kind of money when he is clearly on the decline? I do see this as a big PR problem for the Sox though. No way they are going to give him that kind of money and I'm not sure how low he would go to stay with them.

Anonymous said...

Maybe they should sign hime. He can have a locker next to A-Rod. LOL

Rad said...

Why on God's green earth would they go after Varitek? What would A-rod say about this? They should decide once and for all if they want youth or go back to their old ways. They seem to be wavering between the two which will cause problems.

Mike B. said...

We don't need that smelly-looking, washed-up dud. No chance. It won't happen.

Yuk!

Mike

PS Wonder what I really think?