Thursday, December 4, 2008

Braves Make Offer To Burnett: Yanks To Respond ***UPDATED***

According to Dan O'Brien of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution the Braves have made an offer for free agent pitcher A.J. Burnett.
General Manager Frank Wren confirmed Thursday that an offer had been made but declined to discuss financial terms. Wren did say that, contrary to a published report, there is no guaranteed fifth-year in the proposal. It is believed to be a four-year offer with a fifth-year option at an average annual salary of around $15 million.
I'm assuming it's a team option. If it was a player option, why not just guarantee it? I'm not sure if Burnett takes this offer, but I'm sure if the Yankees want him bad enough they can offer him a little more money for the same kind of deal.

UPDATE 5:30 p.m.: O'Brien updated his original article, he says now that the Yankees were waiting to hear what the Braves had offered and will make an offer of their own either today or tomorrow. Smart move by the Yanks, they've waiting to see what the market is and now they're gonna make sure they're the highest bidder.

UPDATE 8:20 p.m.: The Yankees may have to bid higher than they thought if they want to be the highest bidder. George A. King III is reporting that the Braves are "apparently ready to offer A.J. Burnett a five-year deal worth $75 million." Will the Yanks add that fifth year? I wouldn't.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

So in the next 10 days do you think we'll have any off the following pitchers signed; CC, Burnett, Peavy( through trade) Lowe, O.Perez, and Pettitte? I think eventually we'll sign 2 or 3.
CC, Burnett and Pettitte I think we will get. If no Pettitte, I'd check in on Eric Bedard, yes Bedard, and see how much it would take to get him. He and Hughes could be the number 5 next year, if Bedard gets hurt. Just a thought.

yankspdx said...

I don't like the idea of signing Oliver Perez, a guy who walked over 100 guys last year, and giving up 2 draft picks because he's a type A free agent. He should come cheap if they do sign him.

Greg Cohen said...

If you had asked me about six hours ago I would have said that they would get CC and Pettitte. Now, after seeing what the Yankees are doing with Burnett, I have to believe they also have a very good chance at landing him too. So I agree with you completely. This was their plan from the start too.

Will they get these guys in the next ten days? Probably, I think a lot will happen at the Winter Meetings.

If they don't get one of these three, I like the idea of looking into Bedard, I also wouldn't mind if they signed a guy like Oliver Perez.

Yankspdx, he's not my first choice, but if they can't get all their main targets he's not the worst option.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't add that 5th year either.