Friday, January 16, 2009

More From Rosenthal: Yanks Not Interested in Garcia or Sheets

I forgot to mention this before, but this was also in the Nady article...

From Ken Rosenthal:
The Yankees, who continue to consider a number of free-agent starters, have little interest in Sheets and also don't appear very serious about Freddy Garcia, another free agent.
So no Garcia, no Sheets, I don't believe they like Jon Garland, and Andy Pettitte seems like a long-shot at best.

It's looking more and more likely that they will go with someone from within for that fifth starter spot. I'm not sure it's the best move for the team, but as I've said before a little competition is always a good thing, and this should make spring training fun to follow.

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Give it to Hughes. He was rushed. Remember a couple of years ago how he was listed as one of the best overall prospects in Baseball, not just pitching, but no, lets give up on him at 22 years of age. I think Hughes would fi great in the slot, and I guarantee he will be a big surprise to many.

Greg Cohen said...

Nobody is saying they should "give up" on Hughes.

Anonymous said...

I kind of agree about not going after Garcia and Sheets may be too many injury prone pitchers in one rotation. Garland could be a solid number 5 but I ultimately wish Pettite will screw his head back on straight and come back.

Anonymous said...

The door hasn't slammed shut on Pettitte. I still believe they will work out a deal with him.

If Pettitte's options are to go home or leave $10M on the table, I think he'll take the offer.

Anonymous said...

Hughes will be more productive than Pettitte.

Greg Cohen said...

While I hope that's true, he's done nothing in pro career to make me believe that will happen.

Anonymous said...

I am not comfortable as is with our rotation depth - one is an injury waiting to happen (AJB), another is coming off an injury (CMW), and a third has innings limits (JC)...

Hopefully Cashman is just waiting out the trade market...

Anonymous said...

Rebel, I hear ya man. We need Nolan Ryan as our president, shes against all the stupid pitch count bs

Anonymous said...

Hughes or Aceves.

Anonymous said...

I guess we can forget about Pettitte. He doesn't get it. You pay a player based on their performance. He was terrible last season; couldn't get a win after midseason (basically 1 for his last 11 starts). Based on that performance, he doesn't come close to deserving the 10 million they offered him. They need to sign a 5th starter. I would give Sheets a shot. He's worth the gamble. Obviously, Hughes is still in the discussion. You can't have enough pitching (and we certainly don't have a surplus).