Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Some Minor League News

- The Post's Yankees Blog is reporting that ambidextrous pitcher Pat Venditte will likely start the regular season with Single-A Charleston. Last year he was with the Staten Island Yanks and in 30 games he went 1-0 with 23 saves and an 0.83 ERA.
"I've got a long way to go still," Venditte said. "This year I want to develop more of a changeup from both sides and work that in there more. Maybe throw more fastballs from the left side. Improve my game as a whole, and take it season by season and just try to work my way up."
- Phil Hughes allowed a run in five innings against Phillies minor leaguers today in Clearwater. His final line: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K

“I’m throwing my changeup a lot, trying to get my cutter going,” Hughes said. “I’m not throwing as many curveballs as I usually do, but that’s kind of what spring training is for.”

Chad Jennings has more.

- There was this bit of news about Eric Duncan from Kat O'Brien:
Remember Eric Duncan, the 2003 first round pick who is such a nice guy but a bust on the field? He made his debut in leftfield today in an exhibition game for Triple-A Scranton. Player development head Mark Newman said it's not a position change, just a way to make Duncan more versatile.
He ended up going 0-for-3 on the day with a walk, and two strikeouts. And here's what Chad Jennings had to say about his defense:
Three balls were hit to Eric Duncan in left field on Wednesday, and he although none were especially difficult, he managed to play each of them perfectly. Two were base hits that basically called for him to field a bouncing grounder and throw to second, but the other was a fly ball on the edge of foul territory. Duncan ran to his right and made the catch in stride. It wasn't the hardest catch in the world, but it wasn't the easiest either. It was a legitimate test for a guy playing left field in a game for the first time.
- Not Yankee related but worth mentioning anyway, the Rays optioned left-hander David Price to AAA Durham today. It wasn't that big of a surprise, and Price should pitch his way back to the Rays before the all-star break.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg, I would like my nickname to be DQ..those are my initials.

I'm happy to Phil Hughes doing so well. People wrote him off so soon.. he's still so young. If he started this year I believe he would have a turn around like Mike Pelfrey had last year with the Mets..

I look for him to fill in for the injured starters, he may be the savior this year. I think he can win around 7 or 8+ games, because I can see a starter or 2 go down( knock on wood), at different points of the season.

good night guys

Greg Cohen said...

Alright, DQ it is.

I agree. It amazed me last year how quickly so many people gave up on a 22 year old. He has a lot of talent, and I still believe he will be a top of the rotation starter in the next few years. I think his breakout year will be in 2010, but there's a chance he plays a role this year too, like you said, filling in for an injured starter.