Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Yanks Sell 170,000 Tickets in One Day

From the AP:

The Yankees put individual game tickets on sale for the first season of their new ballpark and said they had sold 170,000 by midday Tuesday.

Yankees chief operating Lonn Trost said the sale began with full-season equivalents at just under 36,000 for the 52,000-capacity ballpark. He said January's announcement that full-season equivalents had reached 39,393 resulted from an internal team miscommunication and the higher figure referred to the final season at old Yankee Stadium, which held about 57,000 seats.

According to the Yankees' Web site, as of early evening tickets remained at $2,625 for the April 16 home opener against Cleveland, each with a $59.70 convenience charge.

That's some good sales numbers for one day. It should also be noted that there were three pre-sales; one for full season ticket holders, one for partial season ticket holders, and another for the winners of the pre-sale drawing that took place last week.

I think it's safe to say that the new place will be sold out most of the time this year. The only tickets I see being available at all are the insanely expensive ones, and as we see in the article above they're even hard sells for opening day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I grabbed 2 seats to a random game in July, but that's about it for availability. Can't afford $500 per ticket, let alone $2625. I hate to say it, but it's probably more feasible (economically and logistically) for me to see the Yanks a few times when they come to Boston this year. It's ridiculous that it would cost me less (just for tickets, no travel) to scalp good seats at Fenway to cheer them on then to go to NY to see the boys at home. I hope the Steinbrothers are happy pricing most fans out of the new Yankee Stadium. I have a bad feeling that a lot of those crazy-priced seats will sit empty and the YES network will struggle to not show those holes on TV. I just threw up in my mouth a bit.

- Brian

Greg Cohen said...

I know what you're saying Brian. You're also probably right about those expensive seats, they may end up saying open for much of the year. Especially for those mid-week games again the Royals, Mariners, Orioles, etc.

I was able to get a few games because I had a package last year so I was able to buy in the pre-sale on the 20th. But I also picked up some seats on Stubhub that were pretty cheap. You can pretty much get any non-premium game for right around face value on stubhub.

Anonymous said...

I dont think the Yanks will leave those seats open. That would look like people cant afford to go. They will fill them up with celebrity jerks and politicians whose palms were greased in order to bilk taxpayers money to build their 1.3 billion palace that made it so a guy like me had to spend 1 hour online trying to buy a ticket. Totally couldn't afford anything----best seats available: 900 bucks! NUTS!!!! Had to settle for some overpriced bleachers from stubhub.

Thanks yanks.

Lou!

Greg Cohen said...

Lou, you're probably right, they'll get some butts in those seats even if they have to give away the tixx.