Saturday, September 19, 2009

Andy Ready For Monday

From George A. King III:
Andy Pettitte won't know until Monday against the Angels whether he is beyond the problem that forced him to miss a start last week.

Pettitte threw a regular bullpen session before last night's Yankees-Mariners game at Safeco Field and said everything went well. What the veteran left-hander didn't say was that he knows for sure the shoulder is free of the tiredness it experienced during his last start, Sept. 11 at home against the Orioles. He may have to wait until he faces the Angels, hoping his left shoulder doesn't leak strength.

"I will find out Monday," Pettitte said. "Get through that start and I will know. Obviously, [yesterday] was a long bullpen and there was no problem."

...

"I have had a good period of rest," said Pettitte, who is 13-6 with a 4.14 ERA in 29 starts this year and pitching better in the second half. "I want to get to Monday without it fatiguing out."

One positive Pettitte and the Yankees took from yesterday is that his shoulder wasn't sore.

"I felt so good I had to cut it back," Pettitte said of the bullpen session.

He also had this quote via Bryan Hoch:
"I wasn't worried at all," Pettitte said. "It's the same old thing. Monday will be good. I'll be happy when I get through Monday and I don't have any problems.

"I want to stand on the mound in the sixth or seventh inning and feel strong like I can keep going when they come pull me, not running on fumes like I was against Baltimore my last start."
...

"I've been feeling pretty good," Pettitte said. "I hope I can get back in a good rhythm with all my pitches. Before I skipped this last one, I was feeling comfortable with all my pitches and that's really all I care about, getting back in the routine.

"We don't have anything wrapped up, and it's important. I have to go out and pitch well. Let's get this thing wrapped up -- we would love to have home-field advantage, and we're trying to play this thing out and play it out hard. We need to keep going, because we have a tough stretch ahead of us."

And this from via Peter Abraham:
“I’ll be satisfied if I get through that start. I’ve been off a few days and obviously it was good to get through my normal long bullpen. I had no problems,” he said. “I’ve had a good period of rest. I didn’t expect to feel anything. I played long toss yesterday and felt great. The big thing for me will be now to get through Monday without having it fatigue-ing out on me and I’ll feel I’m over it.”
I don't think Andy will have any problems from here on out. If he does that could be a major problem in October, but for now I will remain optimistic.

1 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Good news hopefully Andy will be fine. You want him feeling good going into the playoffs.

Chad Gaudin is pitching his way onto the playoff roster. He has a 3.68 era in 29.1 ip with the yankees. Really a great move from Cashman they got him for nothing.

Burnett pitched very well last night. He did a real good job of mixing in his sinker and changeup in the middle innings to go along with his 4 seamer and curveball.

When Burnett is on he is a lot of fun to watch.