Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cervelli To Wear New Safety Helmet

From Bryan Hoch:
With the Yankees recommending that Cervelli try wearing the bigger Rawlings S100 batting helmet this season, Jorge Posada has taken to calling his understudy "Gazoo" -- as in, the floating spaceman from "The Flintstones."

Cervelli knew the reference came from a cartoon, but he gasped when he laid eyes upon the goofy green character, hands on hips and antennae poking from his oversize helmet.

"Oh my God," Cervelli said. "They'll have something for the video screen all season."

...

"They're worried," he said. "I have to stay healthy. It's not for now, it's for my whole career."

...

Cervelli admitted that he thinks the helmet looks "ugly" and wasn't thrilled when he saw himself in the mirror, but he understands the reasoning behind wearing the improved gear, which can withstand fastballs up to 100 mph.

"I think when I get to first base, I'll change the helmet, because it's a little heavy," he said. "It's not about how I look. I've got to take care of myself."
I was in the middle of writing this post when I began to think about the post I wrote last season when David Wright started wearing the same helmet. "Wright should have to take a special bus to the games if he's going to wear that," I said. So, I guess, to be fair, I have to say the same thing about Cervelli.

But still, whether it's Cervelli or Wright or anyone else, I can understand why a player would wear one of these if they have had a concussion. Safety is the most important thing, even if you look like a dork.

blog comments powered by Disqus