Since I'm pretty busy this morning and last night's game was pretty damn awful, I'm going to keep this to bullet points.
- After three nice outings Javier Vazquez returned to his crappy early season form allowing 5 runs on 8 hits and 3 walks over 5.2 innings pitched. He was missing his spots badly, and it seemed that every ball hit off him was a rocket. To be honest, Vazquez was pretty lucky to give up just 5.
- The Yankees fell behind 3-0 early, then after cutting it to 3-1 the Twins scored five in the fifth, sixth, and seventh to put the game away.
- I thought Joe Girardi left him in a little long, but with the performance of the bullpen you can understand why he tried to get as much as he could out of Javy. Chan Ho Park allowed a walk and two hits in a third of an inning pitched. Damaso Marte actually did his job and retired the only batter he faced. And in his first outing since being signed Chad Gaudin gave up a run on two hits and a walk over 1.2 innings.
- For the second time this season Nick Blackburn pitched well and beat the Yankees. Last night he allowed just 2 runs on 9 hits, did not walk a batter, and struck out 2.
- Alex Rodriguez struggled at the plate, going 1-for-4, and leaving four men on base.
- The Yankees went 2-for-7 with RISP yesterday, both hits were by Robinson Cano, who went 2-for-4 and extended his hitting streak to 10. Derek Jeter and Mark Teixeira also picked up two hits apiece.
- Jason Kubel had a huge game for Minnesota, mashing two home runs and driving in five runs.
- Tampa won and Boston lost, so while they gain a game on the Sox they also fell to 4.5 back of the Rays.
- Funny moment of the game: While Kim Jones was on camera talking to the guys in the booth, some Yankees fan behind her took a bite out of a pork chop on a stick she was holding.