Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cashman: The Market Is Dead For Us

From Marc Carig:

"Right now, there's just a lot of things that aren't plentiful," he said. "I'll make my phone calls and if they lead to something, great. But right now, it's dead out there for us."

Though upgrading the bench remains a priority, Cashman said he doesn't expect any major moves, drawing comparisons to last season when the Yankees' deals included trades of bit players such as Jerry Hairston Jr., Eric Hinske and Chad Gaudin.

Cashman also maintains that adding pitchers -- whether it is a rotation replacement for the injured Andy Pettitte or another arm to supplement the Yankees' shaky bullpen -- is not a top priority...

"You compare what would I acquire and what would I have to give up to acquire, and what's the ultimate difference between that for the six or seven starts that Andy's going to be down, is it really worth it?" Cashman said. "Probably, the answer is going to be no."

Said Cashman: "My intent is not to go out and get a starting pitcher. I'll have conversation about what teams are looking to do. I'll have proposals made to me and who knows if they lead to something that I don't expect. But that's not my intent."

The same goes for adding relief pitchers...

"Everybody out there has been inconsistent other than (Mariano Rivera," he said. "But at the same time, the trade market isn't very plentiful. So I'm not optimistic that there will be anything for us to gravitate to between now and the 31st."

Well, that's disappointing.

If we are to believe Cashman, it doesn't seem like the Yankees will make any sort of significant moves.

blog comments powered by Disqus