Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Reggie's Advice To Hughes Pays Off

From George A. King III:
When Reggie Jackson talks to players, it's usually position players and the subject is hitting.

Yet, in late September, Mr. October stopped by Phil Hughes' locker for a chat. Hughes was preparing for a Sept. 26 start against the Red Sox, and the Yankees' wild card lead was dwindling because of a four-game losing streak.

Originally scheduled to pitch Wednesday, the Yankees pushed Hughes up to Sunday and bumped Dustin Moseley.

"He told me to relax. I was coming off some starts that were forgettable," Hughes said. "He told me to do what I usually do. I took a lot from that. I hadn't talked to him one-on-one too much. Anytime a guy like that talks you have to listen."
Thank you, Reginald.

blog comments powered by Disqus