Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cashman on Joba: He's Heavier

From the AP:
The New York Yankees reliever reported for spring training visibly larger than last year. Cashman wouldn't give a direct answer when asked whether Chamberlain is in shape.

"He's heavier, I'll leave it at that," the general manager said Wednesday. "He works hard. He's a good kid. He's heavy."

...

Cashman declined to say whether Chamberlain arrived at camp above the team-suggested weight.

"What I'm concerned about is his performance," Girardi said. "Obviously, you want guys to be in the best shape they can be, but we'll make those calls as we move along. The bottom line is, he is going to be judged on how he pitches. Some guys can carry more weight and be successful."

...

"I thought he had a better year than his numbers indicated," Cashman said. "I know he's throwing good bullpens. I think we'll have a tremendous bullpen. He's one of the reasons for it."
Here's some visual evidence via Michael G. Baron:


And some more:

 

He claims it's just muscle from a jacked-up workout routine and that he feels great, but to me it just looks like he's fat.

blog comments powered by Disqus