Saturday, January 5, 2008

Hank, Let Cashman Do His Job.

Peter Abraham reports on his blog that Brian Cashman had some very interesting remarks regarding his job. This is what he had to say:

“The dynamics are changing with us. When I signed up with this current three-year deal, and this is the last year of it, it was with full authority to run the entire program. George had given me that. But things have changed in this third year now with the emergence of Hal and Hank Steinbrenner and that started this winter, I’m learning as I go along, too. But it is different. But one thing is that I’ve been with this family, the Steinbrenner family, for well over 20 years. So I’m focused fully on doing everything I possibly can to assist them in their emergence now as decision makers.”

Cashman’s contract runs out in October. Asked whether he wanted to return, he didn’t answer directly.

“Because of all the work that gets involved with doing the job, it kind of prevents me from really looking ahead past this year, I’m just doing everything I possibly can to assist the transition with the new manager, the new owners, with the involvement now with the Steinbrenner sons. And then the rest will take care of itself at another time.”

From these comments it’s clear to me that Hank Steinbrenner is running Brian Cashman out of town. Brian Cashman may not be the best GM in the world, but since he was given full control two years ago a lot of good things have happened within the organization. The farm system has gone from mediocre at best, to one of the better farm systems in baseball, the team is still very competitive, and unless the Yankees trade for Santana, the payroll may actually go down over the next few years.

The only reason Cashman resigned with the Yanks a few years ago was because George gave him complete control, and now Hank is taking that away from him, this is bad news for the Yankees and their fans.

0 Comments: