Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Bob Sheppard To Miss All-Star Game

From The Star-Ledger:

"I am not going to be physically able to perform my duties during the All-Star activities," Sheppard told The Star-Ledger from his home in Baldwin, N.Y. "I notified the Yankees that my back-up, Jim Hall - H-A-L-L - will be filling in for me."

Sheppard has not worked this season while recovering from a series of illnesses. His weight had dropped from 150 to 105, but this spring, had regained enough strength that the Yankees were optimistic he could make his return in time for the July 15 festivities.

Instead, Sheppard , 97, would not speculate on when he might be well enough to return during the final season at Yankee Stadium.

"After 57 years of doing every game at Yankee Stadium, it is deeply disappointing," he said. "But I have no control over my well being. I have faith that God will get me back to the ballpark whenever he's ready for me to get back."
It's a shame, I'm sure every Yankees fan was hoping he would be there that night. The Stadium really hasn't been the same this year without him. Hopefully he can return at some point this season.

0 Comments: