Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Cashman Wants To Change The Story

From Bryan Hoch:
In the end, a key component of what pushed Brian Cashman to return as the general manager of the Yankees turned out to be what would have been written had he not finished the job.

Recalling Reggie Jackson's oft-repeated comment: "When you have a bat in your hands, you can always change the story," Cashman insists that he will not see his legacy in pinstripes cemented with 2008, a year that saw the third-place Yankees miss the playoffs for the first time in 13 seasons.

"I'm staying to change the story, that's the fact," Cashman said. "I'm not telling you that it's going to change overnight, but I am telling you that it's not going to be written inaccurately."

"When you decide to do another round, you've got to be up for it," Cashman said. "They need you to be up for it. The entire fan base needs you to be up for it, the people that are working for me or with me. You need to basically be all-in."

Cashman admitted that he had not enjoyed reading criticism about himself in newspapers while the Yankees struggled. A member of the organization since 1986, Cashman reminded reporters that he served as assistant general manager under both Gene Michael and Bob Watson for six years.

He was also the club's assistant farm director when a core of young players like Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera were cultivated under similar circumstances to what the Yankees are attempting to deal with now.

"It just seems like some people forget that," Cashman said. "And the storyline that was going to be written if I left, I didn't agree with. I'm not going to let that story be written.

"If I left, I wasn't going to like the story that was going to be written, because it wasn't going to be an accurate depiction of my time here. I've given my heart and I've given my soul to this franchise and they've given their heart and soul back to me."

Hank Steinbrenner had spoken recently about the implementation of an advisory board to assist in baseball decisions, but Cashman said that the so-called advisory board would remain as it was in 2008. That arrangement consists of the GM, manager, coaching staff, the farm director, amateur scouting director and professional scouting director.

"That's all Hank is talking about, to get as many people as possible involved," Cashman said. "It's nothing we haven't done in the past, I promise you that."
"At the end of the day, there's a story that I want to have written here and I want to have it written in a certain way," Cashman said. "The only way to do that is to suck it up and win."
Cashman was also on the Mike Francessa show earlier in the day and said that the plan is to have Joba in the rotation for all of 2009, and that the Yankees need to add to the rotation and add a first baseman. He said that center field is also an issue, but that may be dealt with from within, with either Damon, Melky or Gardner, but the team is open to making a trade for a center fielder too as long as the deal makes sense. That interview can be found here. (Hat tip to River Ave. Blues for the link.)

Also, according to Peter Abraham, Cashman was "feisty" and "defiant" at the press conference today at Yankee Stadium, and said that “We have to win, and we will.”

Here's another quote from today's press conference from Peter Abraham:

“For a long time, we’ve been old and everybody knows it, right?” Cashman said. “For a long time people have pointed it out. So now when you start to fix it, people are ‘Oh my God, you missed the playoffs.’ Off with his head, right? That’s fair, that’s fine, that’s part of this town. I accept it. I’m not running from it.

“I care about my name and I care about how I’m perceived and I care about this franchise. I need everybody that works for me who feels the same way to pull in the same direction. If I wanted something easy, I could do a hell of a lot of other things than run the Yankees.”

11 Comments:

Anonymous said...

did you see the bill maddens article in the daily news? how to fix the yankees. some crazy ideas, like trading hughes and cano for holliday, signing lowe and oliver perez, jose molina/greg zaun at catcher, posada at first, hudson at scecond. no cc or tex? i hope not

Greg Cohen said...

Yea I saw that, it was ridiculous. Besides signing Lowe and Perez, everything he wrote made very little sense.

And I'm not saying they should sign Lowe or Perez, but at least those two suggestions made some sense.

Anonymous said...

Bill Madden is retarded. He doesn't deserve the job he has.

Anonymous said...

how about the joe and manny led dodgers? the may suprise here. they have good young talent.

i hate to do it but, matsui has to hit the road. we need to make a play for man-ram. he's just so good. i dont care if we have to get rid of damon too. i would like a damon, dejesus/kemp, nady- outfield. with manny at dh. posada at first wouldnt sound so bad, but if we feel like spending even more many to ensure a championship- tex at first. that would be an absolute insane lineup.

dream lineup for next year:

1st damon lf
2nd jeter ss
3rd tex 1b
4th arod 3b
5th manny dh
6th nady rf
7th posada c
8th cano/ (9th)hudson 2b
9th dejesus/ (8th)kemp cf

one can dream

Greg Cohen said...

Yea that was an impressive win for LA tonight. (Cubs fans must want to kill themselves.) Hopefully the Angels can have an impressive win of their own.

I could see them unloading Matsui, but I really don't think Hal or Cashman want to deal with Manny. Yes, the guy is an absolute monster with the bat, but I don't think they want to deal with the other stuff.

I definitely would like to see them sign Teixeira.

Dejesus would probably come a lot cheaper than Kemp. So that might be the direction to go. You can keep Cano and bring in Dejesus, but if they trade for Kemp, Cano is likely gone. I also wouldn't mind sticking with Gardner for a year. I think he could be very valuable if he can hit above .250.

Anonymous said...

Two words for Cashman supporters: Jason Bay. Another great trade by Cashman eh? He gives away 4 prospects for a guy that hits .265. I guess he will fit in well witht the other .250 hitters eh Cash? Flipping putz.

Greg Cohen said...

Oh please. Do you realize that Theo Epstein traded Manny Ramirez to get him? I don't remember Cashman having a future HOF'er as a trade chip?

Nobody had a problem with the Nady trade when it happened, and to come around now, after Bay's homer tonight to complain is utterly ridiculous.

Where were these complaints a few weeks ago? Or when the trade happened?

Anonymous said...

Nicely said.
But can he turn his words into action?
What has he been doing all these years?

Anonymous said...

ROFL, oh give us a break with your garbage. There were tons of Yankee fans that wanted Bay instead of Nady and we ALL see why. Nady is mediocre and proved it with his .265 average and we gave up 4 prospects for him. Cashman talks out of both sides of his mouth and is a terrible GM. Bay has fit in nice with the Red Sox.


ANd, Theo traded Manny because he had to. Boston also signed Manny years ago which was brilliant. Who the hell did Cashman sign comparable to that? Giambi? LOL.


Furthermore, Boston is in the playoffs and won 2 World Series recently and the Cash led Yankees are the laughing stock of the league with their $200m payroll, little league pitching staff and .250 hitters. That's ALL on Cashman. Don't worry we only have 3 more years of his garbage. He will probably sign Pavano to a 5 year deal the dumbass that he is. Or, better yet, he won't get any new pitching since that is what he has done for 10 years.

Mike B. said...

Nice line-up, indeed, Dan.

Although it should come as no surprise, I tend to agree with most of what Anonymous has to say in his most recent post.

Mike

Greg Cohen said...

anonymous,

What you don't understand was that the prospects the Yankees offered up would not have gotten the Yankees Bay.

Regardless of why Theo had to trade Manny, he had him as a trade chip so he was able to get Bay. The Yankees weren't getting Bay with the prospects they traded. I know this is hard for you to understand because all you want to do is blindly bash Cashman.

By the way, George Steinbrenner wanted Jason Giambi and made that happen.

And everyone wanted Pavano, including Theo Epstein, so complaining about that signing is getting very old.