Wednesday, October 1, 2008

2008 Postseason Picks

ALDS

Red Sox vs. Angels - I think this is the year the Angels final get past the Sox. Beckett was pushed back to game three, and there's a slight chance that he may not even start in the series. The Angels also beat up on Boston this year, going 8-1, and they're heading into the postseason healthy, which is always important. With all that said I still think it will be a good series.

Prediction: Angels in 5


White Sox vs. Rays - All year people were expecting the Rays to collapse, they were too young and inexperienced, and there was no way they could keep it up for a full year. Well they proved a lot of people wrong. Still, with what the White Sox did over the last two days they've shown me they're a lot tougher than I had thought they were.

Prediction: White Sox in 4

ALCS

Angels vs. White Sox -
The only AL team that can beat the Angels is the Red Sox, but as I said earlier, this is the year I think they can get past them. If they do, I think they roll over Chicago.

Prediction: Angels in 5

NLDS

Dodger vs. Cubs - I'm rooting for the Dodgers, but the Cubs were the NL's best team all year and I see no reason why that will change now. They're healthy, and they're stacked. Overall they are a much better team than the Dodgers and should have no problems moving on.

Prediction: Cubs in 4

Brewers vs. Phillies - If Ben Sheets were healthy this would be a much more interesting series. But with him on the shelf the only thing the Brewers have going for them is CC Sabathia, and I don't think he's going to be enough to get them over the hump.

Prediction: Phillies in 4

NLCS

Cubs vs. Phillies -
This should be a very good series. These are the two best teams in the NL, and it would only be fitting if it came down to them. Everything I said before about the Cubs still stands.

Prediction: Cubs in 6

World Series

Angels vs. Cubs -
The cream rises to the top and the two best teams face off in the 2008 Fall Classic. This is a very tough one to call, both teams are very, very good. The Angles were baseball's only 100 win team, while the Cubs finished second in wins with 97.

I would be rooting for the Cubs, the suffering of their fans is unmatched; they haven't won in 100 years, and they haven't even been to a World Series since 1945. But I think the Angels are the better team so I'm going to have to say that the pain last another year.

Prediction: Angels in 7

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Angels vs Red Soxs--- Angels in 5
Rays Vs White Soxs--- Rays in 5
Cubs Vs Dodgers--- Dodgers are a hot team but Cubs in 4
Phillies Vs Brewers--- Phillies in 5

Angels Vs Rays Angels in 6
Cubs vs Phillies Phillies in 7

Angels Vs Phillies Angels in 6

Anonymous said...

I agree with Greg. Most are picking the Angels and Cubs. If the Red Sox win tonight, I say they win it all. The Red Sox/Agels winner will be champs over the Cubs.

Angels over Sox in 4
Rays over ChiSox in 5
Phillies over Brewers in 4
Cubs over Dodgers in 4, maybe 3

Angles over Rays in 5
Cubs Over Phillies in 6

Angels over Cubs in 6

Suprisingly I'm actually excited for the playoffs,even though we're not in it. I'm rooting for the Rays, Dodgers, and Philly.

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of those predictions but here are mine:
Sox vs Angels--- Angels in 4
Rays vs ChiSox--- Rays in 5
Rays vs Angels--- Angels in 7

Dodgers vs Cubs--- Cubs in 4
Brewers vs Phillies--- Phillies in 5
Phillies vs Cubs--- Cubs in 5

Cubs vs Angels--- Cubs in 7
I think thats what is going to happen, but I'm rooting for the Rays and Dodgers (go Torre!!!) and for the Red Sox to get ridiculously embarrassed. I hope
that Torre can pull another out of the hat of his.
Does anyone have info on how much bleacher season tix (15 gms) are going to cost next year?

Anonymous said...

I think you're overrating the Angels. Their record was nice, yet, but don't forget they had all season to beat up on an extremely weak division. Texas, Oakland, and Seattle were three of the worst teams in the AL. The Angels got a huge lead, and played with little pressure all season long.

Their run scored differential was only +68 - the Yankees were +62 and the Red Sox, Rays, and Jays were all +100 or greater.

The Angels (just my personal opinion) are a mediocre team that took advantage of a division with zero other good teams to contend with, and got on a roll.

The playoffs can be very dangerous for a team like that, and now with the Red Sox winning game one they're in a very precarious situation in the first round.

Anonymous said...

The Angels just can't stop losing to the Red Sox. That may be the biggest mystery in baseball history.

Greg Cohen said...

Pinstripes,

Could be, it certainly looks that way after last night's embarrassment.

What the hell was Vlad doing? The guy is brain-dead. And Why didn't Socia use K-Rod in the 9th?

Anonymous said...

One simple answer to your questions - they weren't playing the Yankees. That game the Angels played last night was a typical example of a game you'd never see the Angels play against the Yanks. It's sickening sometimes to watch a team just fold against the Red Sox.

Greg Cohen said...

Well they didn't win 101 games against the Yankees, but I know what you're saying.

It is sickening the way they play against Boston. It really does look like they expect to lose.

At least the Phillies are backing up my predictions. That's about it, though. LOL.

That's the great thing about these playoffs, you never know what can happen.

Greg Cohen said...

Ummm.... Can I go back and pick the Dodgers? LOL. Oh well, I did say I was rooting for them.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Greg, these things are a crapshoot anyway.