Thursday, December 4, 2008

Torre Thinks Pettitte Will Return To Yanks

From Ken Davidoff:
Joe Torre has spoken with Andy Pettitte, the Dodgers' manager confirmed to Newsday, but doesn't foresee Pettitte heading West for a reunion with his former manager.

"I don't think that's going to happen," Torre said Thursday, in a telephone interview.
"I talked to Andy," Torre said. "His agent had called the Dodgers to find out about interest, and that's when I called him. I had talked to Andy much earlier, asking him to come to my (Safe at Home) Foundation dinner. He was always married to the Yankees, the excitement playing for the Yankees.

"I called him only because his agent called (Dodgers' GM) Ned (Colletti). I certainly would've kicked myself (if I hadn't called). He never said no to anything, but just from talking to him, I know the Yankees are his first choice. I wasn't about to talk him out it, knowing Andy like I do."
I happen to agree with Torre, I think that Pettitte will return to the Yankees when all is said and done. All of this nonsense is just negotiating tactics, at least I think it is. My bet is that he signs for something in the $12-$14 million range.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

$12 to $14 million is reasonable. Just get it done already. They've thrown enough money at dead-weight pitchers the last few years. Can't see why they're drawing a line in the sand over three or four mill.

Greg Cohen said...

That's exactly how I feel.

Anonymous said...

The Yanks should really offer $13-14 Mil, and if andy doesn't accept, tell him to take it or leave it.

If his heart is really with the Yankees, he shouldn't squabble over a couple million considering his career earnings.

Greg Cohen said...

Another thing the Yanks could do is give him $12 million as a base salary and give him a bunch of performance based incentives.

Brian Danuff said...

Just like Gay-Rod! (Which he never got)