Thursday, December 4, 2008

Some More Yankees Rumors From Ken Rosenthal

From Ken Rosenthal:
After CC Sabathia, the top lefties available are Oliver Perez, Andy Pettitte, Randy Wolf and Randy Johnson.

The Yankees, faced with the possible loss of Pettitte, are monitoring all of those pitchers except Johnson, who had a rocky run with them in 2005 and '06.

I don't like the idea of Randy Wolf, but obviously I'd take Andy Pettitte back, and Oliver Perez is also a decent option.
One possibility I failed to mention when discussing the Dodgers' infield in a recent column: A trade for Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano. The teams are expected to renew their talks about Cano at the winter meetings, and the Yankees again figure to ask for outfielder Matt Kemp. Cano, however, is red-hot in winter ball, and the Yankees will value him as the offensive machine he was in 2006 and '07, not the player who slumped in '08.
I'm starting to think more and more that the Yankees should not trade Cano. I think he's turned a corner mentally and is finally putting the work in to be a star. With that said, Matt Kemp is a very good young ballplayer.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

The CF market is pretty weak but there is that little second baseman named O-Dog hanging around for somebody to pounce on. I may be enticed to make this trade. I would either jump on O-dog afterwards, or turn to the Braves for Kelly Johnson. They probably won't take Cabrera for him though. I would be reluctant to part with Nady for him.

Anonymous said...

I'm not trading Cano for Kemp. I'm not sold on Kemp being more than an average hitter with a little power. Even so, trading a 2B for an OF doesn't sit well with me. Going into 2010, we're going to potentially need a LF, RF, and DH. I'd rather not start shaking things up by trading away Cano, who's at least somewhat of a known quantity at a position where it's tough to find offense. Then you bring in potentially two new guys in Hudson and Kemp... on top of the new guys in LF, RF, and DH going into 2010. I just don't know if that's a great idea.

Right now, I'd stand pat with the offense and see how things go. The pitching should be the main focus for now.

Greg Cohen said...

I agree Pinstripes for the most part. I do think Kemp will be a very good player, but I'd rather keep Cano.

The only thing I'd do to improve this team offensively is sign Teixeira.

Brian Danuff said...

I want Cano to stay, and everyone's saying "oh he's on fire in the winter leagues". So what? He was "on fire" in Spring Training this year, but look what happened! But if he can bring it over to '09, he can hit 20+ hr and 100+ rbis every year.