Friday, February 6, 2009

About This 'What to do with Jeter in 2011?' Thing

There's been a lot of talk about Jeter, his future free agency, and his current position lately.

Now I'm not going to get into the idea about moving Jeter to centerfield that was discussed by Christina Kahrl on Wednesday or Rob Neyer a day later. I don't think that's a solution to anything, nor do I think there's a chance it will happen.

But today Joel Sherman wrote an article about a much more important issue in Yankee-land; what to do with Jeter when his contract runs out after the 2010 season? After all, it is only 21 months away.
But know this -- Yankee officials already talk privately about dreading D(erek)-Day.

After all, what team official wants to tell Jeter he has to take a pay cut or has to move positions or -- gulp -- just has to move on? How would you like that on your baseball epitaph: You were the Yankee executive who told Derek Jeter thanks for the memories?

Of course, the alternative is not too appetizing either. Because kowtowing to Jeter's legacy by paying him lavishly and keeping him at short means tying yourself to a late-30s icon well beyond his expiration date.

As if the matter needs complications, Jeter will conclude his current 10-year, $189 million contract on the doorstep of 3,000 hits, a total never reached by a Yankee.

And, really, do we need complications? He is Derek Freaking Jeter. He is the very definition of Yankee. How do you explain being tied to Alex Rodriguez for 10 years, but cutting relationships with Jeter?

But how do you decide to make this a popularity contest rather than a baseball team? How do you decide to ignore all the obvious data that screams be heartless, even with Jeter?
Rob Neyer added this:
Derek Jeter can't play shortstop in 2011. Not for the Yankees, anyway. Everyone knows this. Cal Ripken was an institution, too, but he shifted to third base when he was 36. Of course, that path probably won't be open to Jeter because A-Rod will presumably still be good enough to play third base (and neither of them can move to first, where Mark Teixeira is locked in for many years).

I'm sure the Steinbrothers would love to see Derek Jeter wearing pinstripes forever, but I believe they're even more infatuated with winning, and in two years it's going to be terribly obvious that spending $20 million on a 37-year-old shortstop who can't play shortstop may be tantamount to losing. So I think we can dispense with the speculation, because I'm ready to tell you right now: It's just not going to happen. The Yankees will have a younger and better shortstop in 2011.
I agree that the Yankees will have someone not named Derek Jeter playing shortstop in 2011, and that's the right move for them to make. I don't care how many Yankees fans want to con themselves into believing that Jeter is some great (or good) defensive shortstop, the reality is, he isn't. As Joel Sherman put it:
Every statistical evaluation shows Jeter's range to consistently be among the majors' worst, and the scouting community pretty much confirms that.

By 2011, the Yanks could have either Jeter or just his future plaque at Monument Park play short; they will have about the same range.

However, I don't think this means that his days with the Yankees will be over. I also don't think that money with Jeter and the Yankees will ever be an issue. The Yankees will overpay for Jeter to hang around for a few more years, and they will overpay by a lot. But the question remains, what position will he play?

Neyer goes on to suggest that the Yankees sign him for about $10 million per with "the vague promise of semi-regular playing time as a sort of utility player." That, like Jeter moving to center this year, is just not gonna happen.

You know what I'd do? Move Jeter to third, just like Cal, and make A-Rod switch positions again.

Sorry Alex.

A-Rod, unlike Jeter, has the bat to be a corner outfielder, or, if his problems with pop ups and fly balls is too much for him to deal with in the outfield, he can DH. There's nothing wrong with having one of the best hitters in the game as your DH.

OK, but what about you guys? You're the 2011 Yankees GM, what do you do?

19 Comments:

Anonymous said...

if for some reason we dont have Cano, or if Cano moves to the OF..I would move Jeter to 2nd base. he'll only be a .300 10 HR 70RBI guy, which is good for a second baseman.

in 2 years he may be only worth $10million a year. if he continues to decline, I dont know what they'll do. this was the only reason why i didnt like the Teixeira signing, other than that I loved it.

Greg Cohen said...

I'd have no problem with them moving him to second either, but I think Cano will still be there.

Anonymous said...

I'll move DJ to LF as long as we find a good and stable RF or CF I think he will be better there than A-Rod.

Anonymous said...

Greg, you are right on track with my thinking lol. Everybody calls me crazy because I try to tell my friends and family that I do not think Jeter will finish his career as a Yankee, unless it is out of pride, and he just retires (which I would not be surprised)

Anonymous said...

Depending on how Cano progresses defensively over the next few years he could be an option in the outfield, particularly left field I would say, making room for jeter at second. If Cano is doing well at second and the organization decides to keep him there I really wouldn't be too opposed to putting Jeter in left, despite the fact that his offensive numbers don't project well for a corner outfielder. i think he still has some wheels and although his range in the infield has diminished greatly he might be able to chase down some balls in Yankee Stadium's spacious outfield. I know he would work hard in camp at tracking fly balls and make himself the best outfielder he could. If that doesn't happen I have no problem with flip-flopping him and A-Rod. Idk how well he would do at third, but hopefully he'll adapt. His arm isn't as strong as Alex's, but I'm sure it won't be a weakness. Whatever the case may be, and whatever happens we still have a few years until anything happens. Maybe things will kinda sort themselves out.

Jeteristheman said...

You're the 2011 Yankees GM, what do you do?

Sign JJ Hardy to play Short if he's avaliable.

Anonymous said...

When is JJ Hardy a free agent he would be a great replacement at short. Then they could move Jeter to second and Cano to left or vise versa.

Anonymous said...

In 2011 Cano will be 28--presumably in his prime, and assuming he really is as old as he says. However, his numbers have declined the last two years. I am not convinced that we haven't seen the best of Cano, and I would not be surprised if he is replaceable in two years.

Also, despite all the griping about Jeter's defense, he was slightly better last year (that is, he was bad but not brutal). And he had his worst year offensively. It is not inconceivable that his bat rebounds some enough to continue to offset his bad defense.

Or, it is very likely that he suffers a catastrophic injury and his career is over.

In other words, what is the point of speculating on a decision that is two years and many, many variables in the future?

The team should simply stockpile as much talent as possible, in order to be ready for different eventualities.

Greg Cohen said...

I like JJ Hardy a lot, I'd be thrilled if he was the Yankees SS in 2011...

And to the last anonymous poster, what's wrong with a little speculation? It makes for some interesting conversations.

Anonymous said...

I'm the last anonymous poster. There is nothing wrong with speculation per se, but the way opinion has turned on Jeter lately is over the top. As such, I find the "analysis" tiresome and not really all that productive.

Why endless speculation about Jeter in 2011? What about speculation about A-Rod or Cano or Posada? Why the constant negative droning about Jeter when Melky and Cano--the two keystones in the the mini youth movement a couple of years ago--have done nothing but get worse over the last few years? What is Jeter doing in 2011? I don't know--what is CC doing in 2013? Should he be a number 1 starter or moved to closer?

And really, does it matter if they are overpaying for Jeter? The extra few million dollars that he is being overpaid is irrelevant within the context of a 200 million dollar budget. If Jeter were starting for the Twins, I could understand the economic argument. But not for the Yankees.

Anyway, I would rather discuss next season than fulminate on about a season three years in the future.

Greg Cohen said...

What do you mean "the way opinion has turned on Jeter lately is over the top"?

As far as why not other players, I think this is about the 2011 Yankees as much as it is about Jeter himself. Where Jeter plays can effect A-Rod or Cano or Posada etc..

"And really, does it matter if they are overpaying for Jeter? The extra few million dollars that he is being overpaid is irrelevant within the context of a 200 million dollar budget. If Jeter were starting for the Twins, I could understand the economic argument. But not for the Yankees."

I agree, which is why I said that the Yankees will overpay for Jeter. I never complained about it, I'm just stating a fact. Personally I have no problem with them paying him $25 mil until the day he retires.

Anonymous said...

Instead of JJ Hardy, I'd like to hope that we've actually developed someone to fill DJ's spot

Greg Cohen said...

That would be ideal anon. Maybe a guy like Carmen Angelini, Ramiro Pena, Eduardo Nunez or Jose Pirela can turn into something. The problem right now is that none of them have shown they can hit. But they're all very young so there is time for them to improve.

Anonymous said...

I think Ramiro Pena can turn into a good ballplayer. He's a great fielder and if he can learn how to hit a little more he could be a decent replacement. Otherwise they're gonna have to start drafting highly touted short stops.

Anonymous said...

Greg,

My rhetoric was a bit much. I guess I mean that Jeter went from being the player that Yankees fans loved and everyone else hated as overrated, to the whipping boy of a good many Yankees fans (at least on blogs like Bronxbanter, etc.).

While advanced defensive metrics and more savvy analysis have shown that Jeter is a bad defensive player--no doubt--it seems to me (anyway) that the criticism of jeter on "smart" baseball sites has swung too far in the last couple of years.

I read plan after plan that involves Jeter moving to 1B, DH, LF, CF, etc. Meanwhile, he put up one of his better defensive seasons last year (according to the very same defensive metrics used to criticize).

Also, meanwhile, Replacement Level Yankee ran a graphic at the end of last year demonstrating that Jeter was one of the most valuable SS in the AL taking offense and defense combined (despite his poor offensive season). Yes, SS was weaker in the AL than NL, but still, the guy was not hurting the team last year, and I see no reason for the steady stream of negative punditry.

Now we have here a blog entry commenting on an article that is calling for Jeter to become a utility infielder in three seasons. Really, is the hot stove *that* cold? This has crossed beyond interesting speculation and into some sort of pathology, I am convinced.

Frankly, I am more concerned about Cano sucking again in historic proportions for 600 ABs, or Posada not being able to catch (and maybe not be able to hit) after a major injury, than I am about Jeter's performance in 2011.

Greg Cohen said...

Anon, I'm not a fan of Jeter's defense, but Jeter is still one of my favorite athletes in any sport. The guy is just a flat out winner.

And you're right, based on several metrics last year was one of his best defensive seasons of his career. Still pretty far below league average, though.

"Now we have here a blog entry commenting on an article that is calling for Jeter to become a utility infielder in three seasons. Really, is the hot stove *that* cold? This has crossed beyond interesting speculation and into some sort of pathology, I am convinced."

Yes the hot stove is that cold. And I stated that I don't think utility guy is something the Yankees should do or even consider with Jeter.

"Frankly, I am more concerned about Cano sucking again in historic proportions for 600 ABs, or Posada not being able to catch (and maybe not be able to hit) after a major injury, than I am about Jeter's performance in 2011."

I don't disagree, right now those are more important because the '09 season is almost upon and 2011 is still a few years away. But that doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't post something if this is the topic of the day, or in this case the past few days around the web.

Anonymous said...

Call me crazy, but after watching him for the past 2 seasons, he is progressively getting worse and I do not think he has much value to the team anymore. They should trade him and get something nice back while his name is still hot.

Anonymous said...

A-Rod is arguably among the best players that have played. He already moved a position, he's not going to move again, maybe if it were for a mid 20's stud who is going to help the team, not a past their prime in their late 30s Jeter. These guys have pride and A-Rod has already given some up by changing positions to become a Yankee, he's not the type of player you can just put wherever you like to accomodate an aging Jeter.

I would love to see Derek stay on the team, wherever he could play. Center sounds good.

Anonymous said...

Hanley and Mauer for '11. Start the crusade.