Friday, February 6, 2009

Torre Snubs Kay

As we all know Torre is on his book tour this week and he's been on various talk shows. One show he has not been on is ESPN Radio's The Michael Kay Show.

Neil Best has more:

Kay said he requested a sitdown with Torre, but "he wouldn’t come on with me." The two had a mostly frosty relationship during Torre's days with the Yankees,during which Kay was a radio announcer, then YES' play-by-play man.

Why did he think Torre turned him down? "Because he has such warm feelings for me, I’m sure, and I for him," Kay said.

Whatever their relationship, Kay said he and Torre acted professionally in doing their respective jobs. "Whatever I needed from him, I got from him," he said. "It wasn’t contentious at all, not at all."

Kay said he assumes Torre has not appreciated some of the criticism of him Kay has voiced on his radio show, a forum he did not have during Torre's early years.

"I didn't have a venue to rip him," Kay said.

Kay offered few specifics of their relationship but promised to share someday.

"There are things he did that I’ll save for my book that were very, very wrong on a personal level," he said.

(hat tip to Was Watching)

It's obviously that both of these guys hate each other and have for years. I believe it stems from a clubhouse incident back in '96 - something to do with Kay saying something to Paul O'Neill that pissed off Torre, who then yelled at, and embarrassed Kay in front of the entire clubhouse.

Anyway, I hope Kay does write a book, I'd read it. Wouldn't you?

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah, Kay's feelings are hurt. Torre's dislike may also stem from the fact that Kay is one of the stoodges for Yes who towed the line in undermining him.

James Miller said...

Now I would...LOL

Anonymous said...

Maybe because a 2 year old would laugh at Kay's baseball knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Kay isn't bad. At least he's honest.

Anonymous said...

As Artie Lange would say: WAAHHH!

karl kokey kissinger said...

kay is so full of himself
i love watching the yanks on yes and i hate that i have to listen to this guy. he thinks he is the yankees and that's what bugs me. just call the game

Anonymous said...

Anon, your right. Kay isn't that bad, hes horrific.

Anonymous said...

Joe Torre is a punk