Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Difference Between Me and You

Two former Yankees are in the Bay area this year with new teams. Jason Giambi has rejoined the Oakland A's, and Randy Johnson is now with the San Francisco Giants. Both expressed their views on New York and being a Yankee to SF Chronicle writer John Shea, and it's no wonder that their former team's fans have such different opinions on the two.

"If you don't win the World Series, it's considered a failing year," said (Randy) Johnson, who's working near his Livermore roots after signing a one-year, $8 million contract with the Giants. "Those are extremely high expectations. It's not that easy, though. I don't think you should be measured on whether you won a World Series or not because the best team doesn't always win the World Series."

And now for the more beloved of the former Yankees, Jason Giambi:
"I loved having that pressure on you," said Giambi, who returned to the A's for a $5.25 million guarantee. "If you're an athlete and really love the game, it's pretty incredible. The expectation level from the media to the fans, it's awesome, an incredible environment to play in. I know some people don't thrive in it, but I enjoyed it."
...

"I think I did all right. I had my ups and downs, but I played hard for Yankees fans. I was honest," said Giambi, obviously referring to fessing up to steroid use. "I did all I could for them. David Cone came to me on Mustache Day and said, 'You know what, it's pretty incredible, you got 'em all back.' I'm pretty proud of that."
Once again, it's no wonder that these two are looked at so differently by Yankees fans.

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

So true. Johnson blowing every playoff game he pitched didn't help him either.

Greg Cohen said...

That's true as well.

Anonymous said...

Very true.

Rich said...

I really wish Giambi had won a ring or two here.

I hated the Johnson trade even before it was made. I still do.

Anonymous said...

Think Jason gets a very loud standing O' when the A's come to NY in April?

I do.

Greg Cohen said...

So do I.

Brian Danuff said...

No doubt about it Anon #2. It;s gonna be like Tino Martinez's return to Yankee Stadium in 2003. He hit a homer off Andy Pettitte and fans cheered. I think they will do the same with Giambi.

I'm trying to get tickets to that game. I want to go to the Stadium, wear a Giambi mustache, and hold up a sign saying something like, "We Miss You Giambino".

Brian Danuff said...

In my opinion, he was a great Yankee.

They should have released/traded Matsui, and picked up Giambi's option and have him as the everyday DH like he was used in 2006. He hit 37 HRs and 117 RBIs.

(but now with Matusi helathy and having a good spring, I'm starting to think he can have a bounce back year.)

As for Johnson, he just never got what playing for the Yankees means.