Thursday, April 2, 2009

Workout Day Coverage (UPDATED)

A lot of stuff to get too... Let's start off with this slideshow from NJ.com. It has a bunch of pics from today's workout at the new stadium.

Here's a link to some great panoramic shots of the new stadium from the New York Times.'

Here's a video tour from Sam Borden of The Journal News:



Now for some pictures; this one is from Baseball-Fever.com:


Here's one from Pinstripe Posts:

These two were sent to me by a friend of mine who was at today's workout:

And here are some pics from the YES blog:

And now, how about some player reactions?
"I couldn't figure out how to get into the Stadium this morning, they didn't want to let me in, because I went into the wrong gate," Brett Gardner said.

"I couldn't figure out how to get to the clubhouse, so I just said forget it and I walked down through the stands and into the dugout and found the clubhouse," Gardner said.

"It's just awesome, breathtaking, everything here is first class and you knew it would be that way, because the Yankees do these things right and we are going to enjoy it," Gardner said.

"Amazing, they did a great job," Andy Pettitte said. I'm just thankful to have an opportunity to play here. You feel really spoiled."

Mark Teixeira said, "It's got such a new feel, unique look. We have no excuses that we don't have the facility to promote winning baseball. We have batting cages right here near the dugout, next to the clubhouse we have a great new training room, chefs to cook for us. It's got it all."

"Until you see this Stadium for yourself, the pictures do it no justice," Swisher said. "You have to see it to truly understand it. Going out on the field -- it's like 'Whaaat?' It's amazing, I'm just so excited."

"For me to hear the pitchers say that (the mound feels closer to the plate) was exciting because we think we have a great pitching staff," Joe Girardi said. "And Andy (Pettitte) told me it feels like they took the mound from the old Yankee Stadium and just brought it over."

"I think it might be a good thing we are starting out on the road, it may help us to play a couple of exhibition games, get acclimated, then go on the road and come back," Pettitte said.

And now some more quotes from the NY Post's Yankees blog:

Joba Chamberlain: "I am trying not to get lost first of all. I am going to have to send a telegram to talk to some of the other guys in the clubhouse. You can't ask for anything better than this, to come home and have this waiting for us. It's great for all of us guys that worked so hard to get where we are at. It's probably a little different for the guys that have been here 12-13 years.

"Pitching on the mound is going to be a little different, just because your background's going to be different, so that will take a little adjustment."

A.J. Burnett: "You can get lost in here easily. I think they did a very good job. I was apart when they did one a re-make of the one in Toronto and they did an A-plus job, but this is just incredible.

Johnny Damon: "If you could see the looks on our faces, you can tell Christmas came a bit early for us this year. My first thoughts were that we very fortunate to have a place like this. This place is special the second you walk into it."

Joe Girardi: "It's like Christmas morning. It's an unbelievable building.

"The first door I walked through was the kitchen. It's probably my favorite place. I love to eat, that's my passion."

Phil Coke: "It's unbelievable, you can't put it into words. And I haven't been able to see it all yet."

Here's some more player reaction from Peter Abraham:

Andy Pettitte: “I was out there last night and, the dimensions, it looks exactly like the old ball park. You just look from the dugout, it looks like it’s going to play big in left and there’s a short porch in right.

“Obviously you walk through the door and see this, the clubhouse. Just the facilities we have, how beautiful everything is and the lighting, it’s state-of-the-art. For me, I’m a big-time whirlpool guy. We have unbelievable facilities as far as swimming. It’s just unbelievable.”

Joba Chamberlain: “You’re kind of in awe at first. It’s like having a new toy. You want to come in and play with everything.

“It’s going to be a little bit different because you have to get adjusted to the backdrop. You have to adjust. Your depth perception is different everywhere you go. So we’re going to have to get out there on the mound and just get your surroundings.”

Derek Jeter: “Homefield advantage is in the crowd. Our fans are always going to be the same. The atmosphere is what makes it fun for the players, so I expect it to be the same as it’s always been.”

Mark Teixeira: “It’s special to be a part of this. It’s going to be the greatest the sports venue in the world. We’re going to be excited to be playing on it for a long time.

“I loved playing in the old stadium. It was my favorite place to come to as a visiting player and I’m going to miss it. But when you come in here, it makes you forget about the nostalgia a little bit.”

I'm sure there will be more pictures and reactions throughout the day, and if there are they will be posted here.

11 Comments:

NY Sports Jerk said...

Wow, the obstruction in the bleacher seats next to the restaurant is even worse than I imagined. You won't even be able to see the centerfielder.

Place looks amazing though.

Anonymous said...

WOW those panoramic photos are awesome...i cant wait to get out of New Hampshire and see this place for myself

Brian Danuff said...

You will never beieve where my dad was today. (Well, you kinda can) Yankee Stadium! While at was at school my dad's freind had an extra ticket to the workout and my dad went. Along with the workout my dad went on an exclusive tour (he's a police officer) and he took like 45 pictures. And, he got an autograph from MARK TEIXEIRA and ANDY PETTITTE!! And he gave them to me, along with a 2009 Yankee Stadium poster!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

actually center field is clearly visible. You cant see the opposite corners is all. For 5$ you can sit there or walk around and experience the rest of the park. Not bad.

But the only thing is the screens that they put up on the side of th restaurant are totally inadequate. Look like 15 inch screens and they are tilted towards the field slightly so people up top will not be able to see them. The screens need to be bigger and spaced out more.

Anonymous said...

WOW it really does look great, even more so when it has some people in it. Can't wait to see it in person, I'll be there May 2nd against the Angels and May 21st against the Orioles.

Anonymous said...

I agree about the screens, they should be 42 inches at least

Mario said...

I"m freaking jealous, guess this is motivation to hit my bonus to come up and do NYC & a game in style this summer...

Anonymous said...

I'm heading to the game on Sat. Can't wait to check out the bleachers.

Anonymous said...

Spent a few hours at the stadium today. It's absolutely magnificant.Looking forward to an exciting year.

Bill

Kev said...

I keep hearing that this stadium is unlike anything else.....I can't wait to see it on April 20...I'll be in Section 235...can't wait!

Mario said...

One thing i'd have liked to see different, is the backstop behind home plate, the boring blue and the signage is just ugly, would have liked to see some grey granite or marble or some sort of stone like all the other new ballparks, not to mention the cool bounces after wild pitches etc...