Friday, June 19, 2009

Papelbon Would Play For Yanks

UPDATE 6/20 @ 1:28 p.m.: Here's a quote from Papelbon where he clarifies his previous statements from WEEI:
“I just think that when people hear what I said or people read what I said sometimes they can only see certain things. I want to make that clear, I don’t want to go (expletive) play for the Yankees,” Papelbon said. “Believe me, I’ve got a ring here and I’m playing for a manager and general manager who are going to protect me. I’ve been on a team in baseball who has been in first-place more than any other (expletive) team in baseball. It’s just a simple fact for me that what I was stating that guys nowadays don’t necessarily get the opportunity to be with a team for a long period of time. Do I want to be with the Red Sox for as long as I can? Of course. There is no question about because I know I’m playing a manager and general manager who are going to protect me and to me that’s all that matters.”

“I said I would go to any team that I felt was best for my siutation, whether its the Yankees, whoever. The thing you dont understand is that its three (expletive) years away. I’m in a situation where I’m playing for the best general manager and manager in the game of baseball and I’ve won a World Series ring here. Do I want to go play anywhere else? Hell no."
Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon was on the MLB Home Plate channel (XM channel 175, SIRIUS channel 210) on SIRIUS XM Radio yesterday with host Jody McDonald. Papelbon was asked if he was a free agent if he'd consider playing for the Yankees.
Host, Jody McDonald: “If you couldn’t work out a contract with the Red Sox before free agency comes up and you eventually become a free agent, is the Bronx ever a possibility?”

Jonathan Papelbon: “Oh, of course. I mean, I think if we can’t come to an agreement on terms here in a Red Sox uniform, I mean, I think that’s pretty much the writing on the wall. If they can’t come to terms with you they’re letting you know that, ‘Hey you know what? We can go somewhere else.’ And I think it’s the same way on the other side, ‘Hey if ya’ll can’t come to an agreement with me then I can go somewhere else.’ Not only in the Bronx, but anywhere. I think anywhere is a possibility. You always have to keep that in the back of your mind because you can’t just be one-sided and think that, ‘Oh I’m going to be in a Red Sox uniform my entire career.’ Because nowadays that is very, very rare and hopefully we can because there’s no question I would love to stay in a Boston Red Sox uniform but I have to do what’s best for me and play in an atmosphere where I’m wanted and play on a team where I’m wanted and that’s all I can really say about that, you know?”
Papelbon is signed through the 2011 season.

I don't know about you, but even with his stupid celebrations on the mound, I'd take him on the Yanks in a heartbeat. And this is coming from someone who literally hates the guy.

But in the end it probably won't matter because the Sox will likely lock him up long-term.

10 Comments:

JC said...

I can't stand the douchebag.

But I'd welcome him, lol.

YankeePride3 said...

For the love of god no. He is a great pitcher, but him and Youk are my two least favorite players in baseball. I don't care how good they are, I'd hate to have them on our team.

Anonymous said...

love him or hate him the guy can flat out pitch

Scotty B said...

YankeesPride i'm with you 100% I don't think i've ever hater two players as much as I hate Puke and Papelbum.

Unknown said...

I'd take Jose Veras back before Papelbon.

Mario said...

FUCK NO, yes we've taken boston castoffs, wade boggs, damon, but i draw the line with that piece of crap...

Mario said...

YES @ the top of my list of players i loath, Papelbum, that midget pedroia, yuke face

Raven King said...

Which one of the two do you prefer?
Jonathan Papelbon or Joakim Soria?

Anonymous said...

Wow Greg... WOW

Greg Cohen said...

Raven,

I would happily take either, but maybe Soria because he's younger.

Anon,

Wow what?