Thursday, July 30, 2009

Garza: I threw at Teixeira on purpose

After tonight's game Matt Garza admitted that he threw at Mark Teixeira on purpose in retaliation for Joba Chamberlain hitting Evan Longoria an inning earlier. Here's what Garza had to say via ESPN:
"They can take whatever they want from it from it, but I just kind of got tired of people brushing him back. It's about time someone made a statement," Garza said, noting that Longoria was hit by a pitch in the opener of the three-game series on Monday night.

"I hate to be that guy, but someone had to take a stand and say we're tired of it," the right-hander added. "You can go after our best guy. Well, we'll make some noise, too, and that's what happened."
I have no problem with what Garza did and I'd want the Yankees pitchers to do the same. But it was stupid for him to open his mouth after the game. Why do these ball players feel the need to tell the press these things? It can only get you in trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if he was suspended a few games and fined. Bobby Jenks was fined $750 for admitting he threw behind Ian Kinsler to send a message. Garza actually hit Tex so maybe he gets a harsher penalty.

10 Comments:

Unknown said...

it's also very strange to me...there was a runner on 1st, arod on deck, and there were already a few pitches thrown in the AB...why throw at him there?

The YES booth didnt think he was, and based on the circumstances I stated above I am a little surprised.

However, I do agree with you and Garza in that protecting your players, especially your best is very important. THe past few years the yankees didnt protect their players as much as I wouldve liked them, and I like seeing that attitude in baseball

crossfire said...

I have no problem with what he did except he's a moron to admit it.

I think he will get a suspension and I doubt he would have had he kept his mouth shut.

SteveB said...

As soon as he hit Teixeira I thought it was a message, but the situation at the time didn't call for him to do that.

So I guess what I take from this is that it's good he protects his teammates, but that he isn't very smart about it.

Anonymous said...

Garza you lost the game. The yanks made the noise taking 2 out of 3. In what the rays thought was a must win series.

Anonymous said...

AJ got a 5 game suspension when he threw a pitch behind a batter. Garza has come out an said he hit a batter purposely. He needs to be suspended and for longer than 5 games.

Anonymous said...

"If that's what he feels, he did what he needed to do," Chamberlain said. "At the end of the day, we won the ballgame, and that's really all that matters."

Anonymous said...

The yanks did a great job with Evan Longoria this series. They pounded him inside all series. Most of his damage was done when the game was over. He looked very uncomfortable facing Chamberlain.

CollinM said...

I completely agree, if Beckett and AJ both got 5 games, this nonsense should cost Garza more.

Jeff said...

I don't have a problem with Garza going at Tex but MLB better give him a fine and suspension in keeping with the AJ ordeal or I'll be steamed.

Anonymous said...

Joba got suspended last year when he didn't even hit Youkilis. AJ got suspended this year when he didn't even hit the batter.

If Garza doesn't get at least 6 to 10 games for firstly actually HITTING the batter, and secondly admitting he was aiming for him (very near the head, no less), then MLB is a farce. Not that it isn't already with Selig at the helm.