Monday, October 5, 2009

Is A-Rod Ready For a Big October?

Alex Rodriguez was a pretty solid player in the postseason up until game 5 of the 2004 ALCS, and then everything changed. Since then he's hitting .143 (8-for-56) with two doubles, a homer, an RBI, 10 walks, and 18 strikeouts.

This topic has been talked about a lot lately across the Yankee blogosphere, especially today, and I've been thinking about this for a few months now. But first, here are some quotes from A-Rod via Mark Feinsand:
“I didn’t expect any of you guys to take me at my word - and I don’t blame you,” A-Rod said. “But for me, I think I’ve done a good job of that this year. Hopefully I can do that for the rest of my career. … I’m in a place in my life and in my life - professionally and in my personal life - that I want to hold on to. I definitely don’t want to change it.”
Has there ever been a time in his Yankees career where he could say this and have anyone believe him besides right now? I don't think so. Feinsand adds that Rodriguez "seems genuinely for the playoffs to start," which doesn't really surprise me. When someone is feeling good about things that is when they want a real chance to prove themselves.

“We have a unique lineup this year; a very deep lineup,” Rodriguez said. “I’m biased, but I think it’s probably one of the best in baseball - if not the best. I also know that I’m hitting cleanup for a reason, and there’s going to be a point for me to help with some big hits when my number is called. I’m looking forward to the opportunity like I have all year.”

More about looking forward to proving himself.

“When you win, the numbers become secondary,” Rodriguez said. “When you lose, the numbers are dissected. I understand the way that works. Our goal is 11 games, and if we get to 11 wins, we’ll get 60 or 70 at-bats and we’ll get contributions from pretty much everyone at some point.”

The final part of that quote is the most important. He seems to finally understand that he doesn't have to be the only guy who comes through, and most importantly, seems to have faith in others to do so.

I'd also like to bring up his approach. He's been looking to do nothing more than hit the ball up the middle for a few months now. It has probably been the main reason for his .322/.421/.572 hitting line over the final 83 games. And that's exactly the approach he needs to take with him into the playoffs. As long as he's not trying to do too much he'll do fine. It's that way for most hitters. He, since the Yankees lost game 4 in '04 has looked like he was trying to hit a homer every time up in the playoffs, and I believe it's pretty obvious that that's been the cause of his struggles.

So between a clear head, and better approach, and a true faith in his teammates, I think A-Rod is ready for a big October. Hopefully it's one that ends with a ring on his figure.

blog comments powered by Disqus