Sunday, February 17, 2008

Posada Wants Joba to Stay in the Pen

And I want Posada to stick to catching.

"I've only seen him as a reliever, and I know he has the potential to be a starter, but if it was up to me, I would leave him in the bullpen," Posada told The Daily News. "I wouldn't change anything."

Jorge has to understand that you don't waste a pitcher who has the kind of stuff Joba has in the bullpen. I'm surprised he doesn't.

People forget that besides his great fastball and slider, he throws a nasty curve, and a changeup.

"I think he's capable of starting and he's done it in the past, but with his makeup and his body, I think he just looks like a reliever to me," Posada said. "If they asked me, I'd tell them. But I think I'm the last guy they ask."

Jorge is right about one thing, he is capable of starting. In 2007 Chamberlain was 9-2 with a 2.45 ERA in 15 starts in the minors. This kid can be a dominant starter.

I know I've mentioned this before, but all that talk about the Yankees needing an ace, a Josh Beckett in 2007 type of ace. Well Joba has the potential to be that ace. To not even give him a chance to prove he can be a good starting pitcher in the majors would be foolish.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree, man... the pen is for starting pitchers who can't make it as starters. They need to see if Joba can be a starter.

It would make NO sense for them to not at least TRY him as a starter at some point, and I think they know that.

Ace starter is so much more imporant than great closer, let alone setup man. There's a reason Johan Santana, who isn't even close to being the best pitcher of the last decade, is making $150M and the best closer couldn't dream of that kind of contract.

Sean said...

Great blog. I just wanted you to know that I'll be putting this blog in my blog updates on a daily basis.

http://www.yankeesdaily.com/

Greg Cohen said...

Cool, thanks Sean. I also added Yankees Daily to my blog roll.