Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A-Rod Speaks

The Reigning MVP sat down and spoke with the media today for the first time this spring. Here are some of his quotes.

On baseball's PED proplem: "Right now, the game is in a very not-trusting situation with our public, with our fans. Some of the things that I've accomplished and potentially some of the things that people think I can accomplish, my name has come up and will probably come up again in the future."

"Last year, I got tested 9-to-10 times. We have a very, very strict policy, and I think the game is making tremendous strides."
Rodriguez also denied a claim last week by former Texas teammate John Rocker that doctors from management and the players' association told A-Rod, Rafael Palmeiro, Ivan Rodriguez and Rocker following a spring training meeting how to effectively use steroids. Rodriguez and Rocker were with the Rangers in 2002.
"It did not happen" Rodriguez said.

On Pettitte:
"Andy is one of the greatest human beings I've ever met," Rodriguez said. "I have two daughters -- well, I have one and one on the way. If I had a daughter, I would want 'em to marry Andy Pettitte. The age difference might be a little awkward, but in today's day and age anything is possible."

On the adjustments he made last year: "I think not overreacting. I think restricting is very important. I think sometimes if you read something or you hear something, you feel like you want to defend yourself or explain yourself. And you figure out that it really doesn't matter. You've got to go out and play. You've got to be, you know, happy within your own skin and not worry too much, not try to overexplain or explain anything."

"I think last year I found a niche, I found a good way of doing things in New York," Rodriguez said, "and I'm not going to change that formula."

Have you spoken to Scott [Boras]? "No"

Is he still your agent? "Yes"

On playing for the Yankees: Wearing this uniform for the rest of my career was very important. I have some unfinished business in New York. Obviously winning a world championship is the center of that, and the only thing that I really care about. So the fact that I'm back, and I'm going to be here for the rest of my career is very special to me."

"I love playing in New York. I love playing for the greatest fans. I think we have an opportunity to be really good for a long time."

"Being part of a world championship team is my biggest goal and that's what I need to do."

"This is the first year since I've been here in five years that we're not the team to beat and I think it's a good position to be in."

0 Comments: