Thursday, March 27, 2008

Torre Takes Questions from the Fans

Joe Torre sat down with Time Magazine to answer some questions from the fans, one of the questions that he answered was asked by this blogger, take a look:
With the way the team treated you in the off-season, would you have any problems attending a Joe Torre Day at the new Yankee Stadium?Greg Cohen, Edgewater, N.J.

Right now I'm not thinking of going back there. Am I going to say I'd never go back? Never is a long time. But at this point in time, I can't give you a solid answer on that.
It's a shame the Yankees and Torre couldn't part ways without one side alienating the other. I was hoping Torre would make an effort to get to the All Star Game this year, but I doubt that after reading this. Someone within the organization should reach out to the guy.

Here's a few more interesting questions Torre answered:
Do you believe that during your time with the Yankees, you benefited by not having a salary cap?Jeff Fulton, Pocatello, Idaho

Ball clubs can spend their money the right way. It's been proven by clubs that have won [the World Series]—the Angels have won, the Marlins have won. Those clubs seem to spend their money on pitching. In my time with the Yankees, I always felt that, yeah, we got Jason Giambi, we got Alex Rodriguez—but what we really needed to do was shore up our pitching in order to be a better postseason club.
What do you want to achieve by joining another team?Chris McHale, New York City

When I went to Tampa to meet with the Steinbrenners and when I did say goodbye to the Yankees, I certainly didn't envision myself doing any more of this. But the last three years in New York really weren't a lot of fun. I just wanted to see if managing could be fun again. It's a great life, and I'm not ready to lose the excitement yet.

How many games can a manager win by his decision-making in a 162-game season?
Randy Arnold, Chattanooga, Tenn.

I think there's more of opportunity to win games in the National League than the American League because there are more decisions to make. A lot of times the managing decisions that you make are based on what you know about your player at a particular time of year. I think that's a talent that a manager has to have, a feel he has to have. If you're talking about certain decisions you make and you sit there at night and say, 'I did this and it affected the outcome of the game,' I'd say that was 10 or 12 games.
For the entire article go here.

0 Comments: