Saturday, April 5, 2008

Pettitte Talks About His Rough Start

From Anthony McCarron:

"No doubt I was rusty," he said. "When three of your pitches are missing, it makes it extremely difficult."

The lack of his regular routine, Pettitte added, had impaired his mental preparation. He revealed that he "felt a little bit out of it. I had so much time off. When you throw a cutter and it doesn't cut and then another one and it doesn't cut, it puts a little doubt in your head."

"I just didn't have anything," Pettitte said. "I didn't have my cutter at all. My curveball, I didn't throw it for one strike the whole game. I couldn't throw my four-seamer for a strike. My cutter, I didn't have a lot of confidence in it. I've got a lot of work to do.

"It was not a good day at all."
On the Jonny Gomes home run:

"He's so strong, he kind of one-handed it down the line," Pettitte said. "No doubt I ran out of gas a little at that point and the change was probably not my best option at that point. But I didn't have a lot of options at that point, either."

But Pettitte was confident he would turn things around:

"I'm going to fix this," Pettitte said, "and get it right."

So am I, I think Pettitte will be fine.

0 Comments: