Monday, August 18, 2008

Cashman: Hughes had a bug

According to Brian Cashman the reason Phil Hughes struggled yesterday was because he had "a bug." Lisa Kennelly (hat tip to River Ave. Blues) spoke with the Yankees' GM today and that's the info she got.
"He was feeling under the weather," Cashman said, adding, "it explains a lot of things."
It seems like a valid reason, his velocity was down a bit, and he did appear to tire as the game went on, but is it the real reason? According to Hughes himself he felt fine, he just had a tired arm, and had no command.
“I threw too many pitches over the plate," Hughes said. "That pretty much sums it up. I was decent, but I left too many fastballs over the plate and they jumped all over them... Physically I felt fine. A little bit of a dead arm, but you're going to go through those days when you don't have your best stuff. You just try to compete and unfortunately I wasn't able to do that today."
Update 12:10 a.m.: Cashman did say in another article that "Hughes was pitching with a bug. He wasn't going to say it, though." So maybe that explains Hughes' postgame comments.

Anyway, if he was actually just suffering from a bug does this mean he will make his next start in the majors or minors? If it were up to me I'd still give him one more start in AAA before bringing him back, and I'd start Pavano on Saturday.

0 Comments: