Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hank: Changes Comin'

From The Post:

With the Yankees' postseason hopes slipping away, Hank Steinbrenner made a rare appearance in The Bronx last night and issued a warning.

"There's going to be a lot going on this offseason," Steinbrenner said shortly before the Yankees hosted the Red Sox. "I promise you that."

"I'm very disappointed," Steinbrenner said upon exiting the Stadium. "The bottom line is, they [stunk]."

"I'm not happy, obviously," Steinbrenner said. "They gotta start hitting. Injuries or no injuries, they gotta be more consistent."
He also had this to say about A-Rod:

"He can still turn it around. He's just gotta quit pressing."

"When he has a night like that, he's going to hear it from the crowd," Steinbrenner said. "That's the way it works, but I'd rather have him than not have him. He's still young enough. He's gonna have a lot of good years ahead of him."

You have to believe Hank is pretty disappointed with A-Rod's season. He just gave him the richest contract in the sport and A-Rod responds by having a terrible year in big spots. You know, the kind of spots you get pain $30 million a year to produce in. And he's right, A-Rod does have to "quit pressing".

As for the offseason changes you know Hank is going to throw a ton of money at Sabathia and Teixeira, that's a given. He's going to want to make a big splash after missing out on Johan last year.

He will also probably going to fire a few coaches, the Steinbrenner's always fire coaches when things go wrong.

It should be an interesting offseason, that's for sure.

9 Comments:

Jason @ IIATMS said...

It will be interesting, no question. But will they go overboard with the long contracts like those that have come home to roost the last few years?

Are we ready to see Teix eight years from now?

Would it be better to to more money/shorter years on Sheets (or is he another Pavano in waiting?)...

It's time to clean house. Time to get more athletic.

Greg Cohen said...

Sheets scares me for the reason you mentioned, I would stay away from him.

Teixeira is 28 so I could deal with the Yanks giving him a 7 or 8 year deal. I'd rather them give him a 5 year deal, but that won't happen. There's no way I would give him a 10 year deal like Boras is asking for. I still can't believe they gave A-Rod 10 years.

And they really can't clean house, at least not completely. They don't have enough talented position players in the minors, and they can't move certain guys.

Anonymous said...

Those coaches should be fired. The manager should be fired for defrauding the Yankee organization and its fans.

Greg Cohen said...

All of the coaches Danny?

I don't think Dave Eiland has done a bad job, and I also don't see anything wrong with keeping Rob Thompson and Tony Pena.

And even though I'm not a big fan of Girardi's, I highly doubt he will be fired.

Anonymous said...

Tony Pena is the only one who should keep his job. Rob Thompson collects a pay check for standing next to Joe with his arms folded. There was no reason to replace Guidry if you were going to replace him with Eiland. I really don't see how Eiland has prepared any pitcher in his charge for the major league level.

Greg Cohen said...

Thompson does a lot more than you think. From everything I've read he's supposed to be a good coach, very prepared, and the players love him. Although I could see them bringing in a guy like Willie cause the Steinbrenner's love him.

The pitching hasn't been the problem this year, the offense has. Maybe Eiland screwed up with Hughes and Kennedy or maybe they just weren't ready, or maybe the hype got to them. I'm not sure. But I don't think they will fire him.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised no one's been complaining about Kevin Long?This guy hasn't done a good job this year. It's evident by the lack of offensive production.
We should hire Willie Randolph as 3rd base coach.

Anonymous said...

yep, just like i said last night. the motto this offseason: change. maybe hank visits this site.

Greg Cohen said...

Yea, I'm not a big fan of Long myself, but I've heard the Yanks really like him. I don't know why.