Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cano: It's Not The Contract

From Peter Abraham:

Cano was given a four-year, $30 million contract in February. There are team options for $14 million in 2012 and $15 million in 2013. In all, Cano could make $59 million.

But a player who appeared about to become one of the best second basemen in the game has become one of the worst.

"I've had it thrown in my face. It has become a subject," general manager Brian Cashman said when asked about the team's commitment to Cano. "I'd like to think that it doesn't change the player."

So would I, but we all know money changes people in all walks of life. Let's see what the player has to say:

"Nobody has said that to my face. But I know what people are thinking," he said. "I have an answer for people who say that: It's not your business. Don't look at my contract. This is one bad season. I had three good ones before this one.

"Why would I get a contract and quit playing? You can ask anybody on this team, I have been the same. It's not that I'm not working hard or that I'm not focused on the game. That's not it. But people are always looking for something to blame."

One thing Cano needs to understand is that everything becomes our (the fans, media, etc.) business when you are playing in New York. He better get used to that.

Cano also shouldn't be surprised that people are looking at his contract as a reason for his struggles this season. When you sign a big contract you better live up to it, just ask A-Rod about that.

The Yankees also plan to talk to Cano about reporting to spring training in better condition. Cano would prefer to play more winter ball than the Yankees allowed him to last season.

"I know I need to start better," said Cano, a career .237 hitter in April. "There's no excuse for that. I'm going to talk to them about what I'm supposed to do. I know when I get home, I'm not going to wait too long before I start working out again. I'm going to work hard all winter. I'm going to work out, watch video, do everything I have to do."

As the season winds down, Cano is trying to take a positive approach to his struggles.

"I would say it's a good season. You know why? I'm going to learn from this year so it doesn't happen again," he said. "You learn from mistakes. To be a better player you have to do that. I'm going to learn and be better from the first day next season.

"There is one other good thing. I'm going to know who's on my side. Who's my friend; who's not my friend. Who's talking behind my back. I'll remember all that. Because I'm going to go back and be the player I'm supposed to be."

It's great to hear that he wants to learn from his mistakes, regain his form, and all that, but is he telling the truth or just saying what he thinks people want to hear? When I hear the term hard worker, the name Robinson Cano isn't the first name that comes to mind.

We all hope he does return to form in '09, but you have to wonder if his sub-par '08 may have punched his ticket out of town. I don't think trading him now, with his value at rock-bottom, is the wisest move, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

It's really disappointing. After last season, I was dead set on not trading Cano. He showed so much potential, I thought he'd only get better with time and become one of the league's top hitters.

This season has been a complete disaster for him. I don't know if it was Melky's struggles rubbing off on him, the trade rumors, the contract, the loss of Bowa and Torre.. I just don't know.

At this point, you're not going to get anything for him that will be a big difference maker, I'd rather just live or die with him at 2nd. If he fails out the rest of his contract, you start benching him and then you don't re-sign him.

I think there's still great baseball left in him somewhere, but this entire TEAM needs to work really hard on situational hitting, how to approach certain pitchers, how to NOT crowd the plate, how to hit back through the box, hit to the opposite field, how to lay off junk pitches, how to get runners over, how to NOT swing for the fences... it seems like they do everything wrong.

It's not just Cano, which is why I'm questioning Kevin Long big time. Guys like Giambi and A-Rod have given him credit... for what? Teaching them how to strike out more? I don't care of Long is a good "mechanics" guy, he's not doing anything for struggling hitters, he's not fixing their situational approach, and I see way too many swings for the fences. That's up to the manager and hitting coach to straighten out. If a player doesn't want to listen or doesn't want to put the team before their home runs swings, then buy them a ticket out of town.

That's why I'm having a tough time blaming just Cano. The whole team has struggled to step it up, and I'm starting to wonder what Girardi, Long, and any of the other coaches are preaching to these guys.

Greg Cohen said...

I agree with you Pinstripes; first of all like I said, trading Cano now doesn't make sense. His value is at rock-bottom. Like you said, stink with him, and see if he can recapture whatever it was that he was doing in his first few seasons.

I also agree that the problem is a team issue, and might have something to do with Kevin Long. Many players on this team have consistently had bad at-bats this year.

As for Girardi, I think most of you guys know how I feel about him. I expected a totally different manager when they hired him. I'm very disappointed in almost everything I've seen from Girardi.

Anonymous said...

First of all, who knows if Girardi is calling all the shots. Hank has been vocal and I would not put it past a Steinbrenner to make himself heard to the manager. Next. there are many teams who are in desperate need of hitting that may overlook Cano and his poor year, and just see what he did the previous 2-3 years. One team that comes to mind is the Giants, another would be the Padres. Even the Dodgers could be in on it, since Kent will be gone. I wonder if Hughes, and Cano would be a good starting place for acquiring Peavy from the Pads, or Billingsley from the Dodgers.

Greg Cohen said...

anonymous,

When you say Hank could be making himself heard to the manager, and might be calling the shots, what do you mean exactly? I don't think Hank's making coaching decisions if that's what you're thinking.

You might be right about a team ignoring this season, but I still don't think the Yanks could get anywhere near the package they could have last off-season.

Anonymous said...

I tend to be a conspiracy theorist, but you are probably right. It is very likely that it has been Girardi's decision to keep Giambi in the 5th spot like it was Torre's decision to keep running Proctor out there until he could pitch no more. Either way, changes need to be made. The only thing about trading Cano is we would need to find a second basemen. I am not sure if he is a free agent but I have always been a fan of Grudzielanek. He is tough nosed player, has a good bat, can play a little defense. He is not the best but he plays hard and puts up the numbers.

Greg Cohen said...

Nothing wrong with being a conspiracy theorist, at least I don't think there is.

You are certainly right - changes must be made, many of them.

I like Grudzielanek, and he is a free agent. I also like Orlando Hudson, what do you think about him? He's a free agent too. The only problem with both is they're coming off of injuries, Hudson's being more severe.

Here's a complete list of free agent second basemen and their ages:

Willie Bloomquist (31)
Geoff Blum (36) - club option for '09
Jamey Carroll (35) - $2.5MM club option for '09 with a $0.15MM buyout
Craig Counsell (38)
Ray Durham (37)
Damion Easley (39)
David Eckstein (34)
Mark Ellis (32)
Mark Grudzielanek (39)
Jerry Hairston Jr. (33)
Orlando Hudson (31)
Tadahito Iguchi (34)
Jeff Kent (41)
Felipe Lopez (29)
Mark Loretta (37)
Nick Punto (31)