Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Jeter Still Knows How to Win in October

How slow are things in Yankeeland these days? So slow that I'm actually going to post something about Derek Jeter beating Tiger Woods in a video game. Yes, a video game.

From the NY Post:
Jeter and golfer Tiger Woods were in Orlando, Fla., working on Gillette Champions promotions, including for a global online video gaming competition that opens Friday. The shaver maker, part of Cincinnati-based Procter & Gamble Co., is partnering with EA Sports in a tournament that culminates in February with winners playing Gillette endorsers such as Woods and Jeter in person.

Jeter said he took Woods down in "FaceBreaker" video boxing.

"We were just playing a game which I beat him in a few times," Jeter said. "We've got video, photos, all the proof."

"It feels like it should be about the middle of November, so it's been a little awkward," said Jeter.
Jeter also said he hasn't been watching the playoffs or World Series.

"I see highlights of them. If I'm not playing in it, I don't really want to sit around and watch, but I'd be lying to you if I said I'm not interested in what's going to happen."

He laughed when asked which team he's rooting for: "I'm not rooting for anybody."

But he said the Rays' emergence this year has added to the Yankees' challenge in the AL East that they and Boston had dominated in recent years.

"They have a young team and I'm sure they're going to be good for many years, and that unfortunately makes that division that much tougher," he said.

"We need to play consistent baseball," he said. "I've said time and time again, the best teams make (the playoffs) and the hottest team wins. This year, we weren't either one."

When asked about potential free agent signings Jeter said, "There's so many rumors in New York, I learned a long time ago not to even comment on potential teammates."

0 Comments: