Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Statement from the Steinbrenners

From Yankees.com:
"Before we could move forward as an organization this offseason, we needed to come to a resolution on the person who would hold the important position of general manager and allow us to make another run at a 27th World Championship. We are thrilled that Brian has accepted to renew his commitment to this organization for at least three more years.

"Holding the position of general manager for any Major League team is a challenge. But to do so in the great city of New York, where baseball is passionately followed 12 months a year, you must possess a number of unique attributes.

"Brian has shown throughout his Yankees career that he has the dedication, integrity and know-how needed to perform-and succeed-in this environment. Having him in place allows us to begin an offseason of hard work, and we are pleased he will be working hand-in-hand with us to bring the New York Yankees back to the postseason."

4 Comments:

Mike B. said...

After sleeping on this I woke up this morning to the conclusion that next year the Yankees will probably be in the same place they were this year. I really expect little change; after all, by rehiring him the Yanks have basically commiteed to the status quo, no? But as I said yesterday, if they have limited his "power" somewhat, there might be hope. I'm not sure he's capable of "finishing the job," though.

If I'm proven wrong I will admit my stupidity here in the forum and announce to the world my silliness and idiocy.

Perhaps some miracle will take place, and you can bet I'm hoping for a great year.

Mike

Greg Cohen said...

I don't believe he would have taken the job had they limited his powers. That's the only reason he came back 3 years ago, and I can't see him changing his demands now.

Also, if Wang and Posada stayed healthy the Yankees would probably still be playing right now. So the 2008 team really wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. It's not going to take a miracle, just two or three good moves.

The Yankees need a pitcher, a first baseman, and maybe a center fielder. That's really it. I can't imagine Cashman goes an entire off-season without fixing at least two of those problems. Most likely the pitching and first base issues.

Anonymous said...

I think with a few new additions and an attitude tweek , we will be ok next yr.Posada's leadershp was missed this yr.

no excuses next yr

BB

Mike B. said...

Right you are...no excuses next year.

Mike