Sunday, November 16, 2008

Kernan: Lowe is perfect for Yanks

From Kevin Kernan:
CC SABATHIA is the prize catch for the Yankees, but don't underestimate the importance of signing free agent Derek Lowe.

Say this for Derek Lowe; he can carry the pitching load. The last time he was a free agent I wrote he would be the perfect addition to the Yankees' staff in so many ways. He's tough. He knows what the AL East is all about and he is there every fifth day. Instead, the Yankees signed Carl Pavano. If Lowe had been there instead of Pavano, the Yankees would not have had to rush Phil Hughes to the majors.

Consider this about Hughes: There are 122 pitchers in the Arizona Fall League, 108 are older than Hughes. He's still only 22.

Over the last seven seasons Lowe has made between 32 and 35 starts each of those years. You can pencil him in for 200 innings right now.

"He's so consistent," said one admiring scout. "You can't go wrong with Derek Lowe. He's just what the Yankees need."

His durability is definitely a huge plus. It's very important that the Yankees have guys on the staff that can throw 200+ innings next year.

But there are two things that concern me about Lowe, his 5.42 ERA he had when he last pitched in the AL with Boston in '05, and his age (36). I have read that some scouts think that overall he's a better pitcher now than he was in 2005, so he may be able to give the Yankees more than an ERA over 5. And he has also shown no real signs of slowing down so his age might not be a factor either. On the other hand, the 4 or 5 year deal he may demand would turn his age into a factor. Do the Yankees really want to be paying this guy until he's 40? These are two things the Yankees have to look into.

I'm not going to be upset if they bring him in next year, but I wouldn't say he'd be perfect for the Yanks.

7 Comments:

She-Fan said...

He's not perfect for the Yankees if he's serious about wanting to return to Boston. We don't need any divided loyalties!

Greg Cohen said...

I know what you're saying Jane, but I have to believe (hope?) that a player is loyal to whomever signs his paycheck.

Jeteristheman said...

I completely disagree with the argument that Lowe's a perfect fit. To be honest, Burnett's a much better overall fit. He's pitched in the AL East more recently, has dominated Boston, and is younger (not to mention that Lowe has no interest of being a Yankee). Burnett's a much better fit than Lowe

Greg Cohen said...

I don't really know if either of them are a perfect fit. Burnett may be better, but without those great starts against the Yankees his numbers would be a lot more pedestrian and he's injury-prone.

With that said, he probably is a better fit than Lowe.

Mike B. said...

I think Burnett's a better fit than Lowe, but that's strictly a gut feeling.

Mike

Anonymous said...

I'd rather have Moose back than either Burnett or Lowe. I suspect the Yankees would also, which is why they'll probably wait for his decision before deciding how many offers they make, and to whom they make them.

As for Burnett vs. Lowe, I'd have to lean towards AJ, only because he's got recent AL East pitching experience, but honestly, I don't want either one.

I know people (and probably the Yankees) aren't going to be with me on this one, but I'd be interested in Garland. Strangely, Garland had a 3.68 combined ERA vs. the Central and East this year. He got bombed by Seattle, Oakland, and Texas. I'm not sure if that really means anything, but his ERA was under 4 against the AL East, and he pitched well against TB (2.57 ERA, 14 inn), BOS (4.26 ERA, 12.2 inn), NYY (2.77 ERA, 13 inn), and BAL (3.98 ERA, 20.1 inn).

He's no star, but he's a good innings eater and has had a lot of success in the past at times. In the event that Burnett and Lowe both go elsewhere, and Moose retires, I think they should take a good look at him. Wang, Joba, CC, Pettitte, Garland. Not exactly ideal, but three potential "#1" starters, plus a couple innings eaters (Pettitte lead the team with 204 innings this year), with Hughes ready as your #6.

Greg Cohen said...

I think getting Moose back would probably be the best thing for the Yanks, Wang, CC, Moose, Joba, Pettitte would work for me.

I didn't know that about Garland, and it's pretty interesting. I'd definitely consider him if the Yankees can't sign one of the three guys you mentioned.