Monday, November 17, 2008

Leyritz: It wasn't my fault

Jim Leyritz sat down with a couple Daily News reporters to discussed his DUI accident that killed last December 28th that killed Fredia Ann Veitch. This was his first interview about the accident.

Here is some of the interview:

Fallen Yankee hero Jim Leyritz, speaking for the first time after the DUI accident that killed a Florida mother, said he has had trouble hiding his pain from his children ever since the crash.

"I can't tell you how many times that I put them to bed and I walk outside so they didn't see me break down and cry," Leyritz, 44, said in an emotional interview with the Daily News.

Leyritz, his eyes red and watery as he recalled the moments following the fatal accident, remembered feeling lost and in shock.

"I know I'm going to jail, but I just don't know how long I'm going to be there," Leyritz recalled. "I'm just lost."

In jail, "I talked to my ex-fiancée... crying and just saying, 'I don't know what I'm going to do. This is not me. I don't know what to do. This is just horrible.' And knowing that somebody died in the accident..." Leyritz added, his words trailing off.

And here's the the it's not my fault part:

Leyritz said it was Veitch - who was found also to be drunk at the time of the crash - who caused the horrific accident. Records show she had also caused a drunken driving accident six months before.

"My light was never red when I entered the intersection," he said. "I was not at all responsible for the accident or her death."

"She went through the light. She hit me."

Hopefully he's telling the truth, I doubt they will be able to prove anything one way or another - there's probably no way to tell who had the green light.

Sadly, it would be worth it for him to lie, if the jury believes it wasn't his fault it would reduce his sentence greatly. But as far as morals go, it's about as low and pathetic as you can get.

He also said that for weeks after the crash he couldn't sleep because he couldn't get the image of Veitch lying on the street unconscious out of him head

"Every time I closed my eyes, I saw her face," Leyritz said.

0 Comments: