Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Pettitte Wants To Come Back To The Yanks

From George A. King III:

Andy Pettitte, who hasn't filed for free agency, wants to pitch for the Yankees next season. And according to Brian Cashman, the Yankees want the 36-year-old lefty back despite chasing big-ticket free-agent hurlers CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett.

"Of course we are interested," Cashman said last night from the GM meetings in Southern California.

Asked if he has started negotiations with Pettitte, who some in the organization believe is looking for a two-year deal, Cashman was vague.

"I wouldn't say," Cashman said.

"I would like to play again," Pettitte told KRIV. "Other than that, I will have to see what happens. I am letting my agents handle everything."

Pitching for the Yankees is Pettitte's goal.

"That's what I would like to do, obviously," Pettitte said. "Hopefully, we can see if something happens. Randy and me, we talked about three weeks ago, and really we haven't talked since then. As far as I know, nothing has happened at all."

"It means a lot, especially the way I felt down the stretch this year," Pettitte said. "My shoulder gave me a little bit of trouble at the end of the season this year. I've had it checked out. The doctors told me that everything looks good. I just need some rest. What it does, is it gives me an option to play and gives me the confidence to know that I think I will be able to continue to stay healthy."

I've thought they should bring him back from the start, even if it means a two-year deal. And I think he will be much better next year with a full off-season and a healthy shoulder.

UPDATE: It seems that the Yankees don't want to give Pettitte two years. Here's this from Ken Davioff's blog:
There are rumblings that Pettitte wants a two-year deal, and that won't be happening with the Yankees, who would ask Pettitte to accept a one-year offer in the neighborhood of $10 million. Pettitte made $16 million each of the past two years.

3 Comments:

Rad said...

If Pettitte wants anything more than $7 million, he won't be worth it.

This is a really nice blog man. Real nice work.

Anonymous said...

the market's changed in the past few years...$7 mill for a starting pitcher is nothing

Greg Cohen said...

Thanks Rad, I really appreciate that.